Dogs and Air Fresheners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Our smallest dog, about 7lbs, has recently been panting at night, pacing and constantly wanting to go outside. This started about 2 weeks ago. Couldn't figure out what it was until we recalled his acute sense of smell. Recently had added air fresheners to the home. Looked that up on the web as a possible cause. Bingo. Removed them all and trashed them. He immediately laid down and went to sleep. Better ever since.

Just a heads up to others, never thought an air freshener could be toxic but they can be ...

a dogs nose is very sensitive. if someone is in my yard (over 3/4acre) and they are smoking my dog will sneeze every time.

I had a buddy drown 8 years ago in a large spring fed lake. body never came up and they sent in a set of dogs. his body was hung up by branches over 100' down and the dogs found him. send the divers down to get him.

They are an incredible animal and most just want to make their owners happy!! that's why they are a mans best friend!!

What air fresheners were they? Since I've had my dog (2 years now) I haven't had an issue. I have those air wick auto sprayers set to spray every 36 minutes. I do not keep them in any bedrooms, just the foyer and the living room. The one in the living/dining (pretty much our play room) will likely be gone once I pull the carpet up because it houses so many different smells. It wasn't new when I moved in and my dog will come home from camp or come in from the rain and start body sliding all over the carpet. We also had about a year of "no don't pee there" and in spite of the bi weekly carpet cleanings, the carpet never maintained a fresh smell.

My dog does that pant and restless thing every so often but it is always attributed to the new sounds. A new window a/c unit, the fan cord is hitting the light (she is not thrilled with ceiling fans), I knock something over in the bathroom when getting ready for bed, etc etc. Enough of that before bedtime and she works herself up. She either simmers down or sleeps downstairs on the couch.

Might I suggest the "smell absorbing" rather than perfumed air 'fresheners'? Also with pet accidents and smells I have found oxy clean (in a steam cleaner) or Natures Miracle are really good at getting the pet odors out so that they even stop reusing the same spot. (they like to go where they smell it)

They ARE our babies... as long as my dog doesn't 1. bite the neighbors, and 2. pee or poop on my carpet... whatever he wants or needs... whatever makes him most comfortable... etc... As long as he keeps his part of the deal, he gets what he wants.

Latest posts

Back