Doggie Door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, both of my doggies use a doggy door. One is a kind of short female Rotty/Dobe mix, and the other is a 90 pound female Dobe. The short one sort of jumps to get through the door, and the big one sort of squats her back to go through the door.

My pit bull uses her door often. Wouldn't have a dog with out the door. She goes in and out at all times of the day and night. No dragging my ass outta bed so she can use the outdoors. No worries during the day either. Too damm hot her in the summer to leave her outside. Started out with a door added in the slider, didn't like that. Using one mounted through the wall of the house now.

We have a cat door for the cat... because he's a cat. The dogs open and close the doors of the house on their own... Do have to remember to lock the front door on the few occasions we leave them home alone....

Any special training required? I'm sure they'll find it on their own, but maybe some encouragement would help.

I have a through the wall door. It's the best thing I ever did for me and my dog. No special training was required. It's so nice to not have to worry about rising home to let her out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Have any of you had issues with uninvited guests coming in through the doggie door?

I would like to have one, but my neighbor has door for her lab, and rats came in through it, made themselves at home and took up residence in her furniture upstairs. Because of this, SWMBO is totally against us putting one in. Anyone else have issues with rats, coons, etc coming in?

I have two... both are XL with a magnetic strip to aid in sealing out cold air in windy conditions.
The pups have to go though both to get out side.. door to back hall way has one, then door in hall way that leads to back yard.

No special training other then showing them they are there, perhaps a favored treat on the "other side" once of twice so they understand.

Only issue I have is when I put the solid "shutter" in place for wet weather or other reasons I want them to not have access to the back yard.. Once the pups get used to the door, they will go though them at high speed to get inside for dinner, outside to chase the squirrel.. ect .. if you just put the solid door in... the pup will end up smacking into it.. we avoid that by placing an obstacle in front of the door, chair, box, broom,, anything to make them slow down,, once the push against the solid shutter,, they know it's closed for the night/day,

I don't know if a rat could get the flaps open since they seal magnetically. I've never seen any evidence of rodents in the house, but I know we have them outside. It's funny how fast my dog hits that door. Sometimes it sounds like she's taking part of the wall with her.
And the through the wall type of door was ridiculously easy to install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

never have had a rodent get through our dog door. The through the wall unit we have has double flaps and is about 6-8 inches off the floor. The flaps have magnets on the bottom so they don't swing freely but allow the dog to push them open. The doors are installed to match the dogs normal walk so don't think they would ever be mounted flush to the floor. Cant see anything getting thru that isn't four legged.

Years ago had a cat door. Racoons came in thru the cat door while we were gone for the weekend. Big show down inside the house. Cats won. New something was up when I saw crooked pictures on the wall and racoon paw prints next to them. Racoons were hiding in the garage when we got home.

Have any of you had issues with uninvited guests coming in through the doggie door?

We have four cats and a dog. The doggie door is GREAT so we do not have to get up and let them in-out all the time. Now two of my cats are hunters and love to show up what they caught. They will bring in lizards, birds, gofers, or whatever else they can catch and eat it in the house. Nothing like waking up in the morning and stepping on a dead lizard.

Latest posts

Back