Dogfish Head Squall IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenal610

Reaction score
Appearance:poured a hazy orange color with little head in a big brandy snifter. The head was light tan that didn't last very long.
Aroma: Dominant smell was orange. I also got hints of pine and perfume like aroma.
Taste: Mild bitterness with a grapefruit bite in the front and middle. It finished off with a malty caramel taste. There was a lot of other stuff going on in this taste that I couldn't pinpoint.

For those who have tried this, Did you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, just not what I like. I found it too sweet, kind of syrupy (IMO, a problem with a lot of his beers.) I think the 60 and 90 minute versions are better.

I have to admit, I wasn't impressed. It wasn't bad, just not what I like. I found it too sweet, kind of syrupy (IMO, a problem with a lot of his beers.) I think the 60 and 90 minute versions are better.

True. The finish for me was kind of sweet(not too sweet). I didn't have an issue with it, but I understand how some people wouldn't like it. I'm going to crack open an 90 minute tonight to see how it is... It's been awhile since I've tried it, so I'm excited to compare it to squall while it is fresh on my mind.

True. The finish for me was kind of sweet(not too sweet). I didn't have an issue with it, but I understand how some people wouldn't like it. I'm going to crack open an 90 minute tonight to see how it is... It's been awhile since I've tried it, so I'm excited to compare it to squall while it is fresh on my mind.

This would be interesting.
My friends and I have been meaning to have a side-by side comparison of the 60, 90, and Squall but haven't had a chance yet.

That beer blows. For the hoppiest beer that Dogfish makes, they sure know how to keep them sweet as hell. I've had this beer 3 times in the last year, and I'm disappointed every time. It's like syrup.

This is alright fresh but stash it for 4 to 6 months and the sweetness comes down and there is still enough hop, it really gains a lot from bottle fermentation. almost as good as new glarus IIPA. I love this beer new or old but if i'm looking for a hop milkshake i'll get a green flash imperial ipa.

I absolutely loved this IPA. I've never been disappointed by DFH. It did not taste syrupy at all to me. It does taste better when you let it age for a little while. I will definitely attempt a clone of this.

I thought it was pretty good when I had it for the first time, but I had one recently and like others on here have already mentioned, I wished it finished a bit drier. Many of the higher abv dogfish head beers have a sweeter finish that is definitely not for everyone.

This is alright fresh but stash it for 4 to 6 months and the sweetness comes down and there is still enough hop, it really gains a lot from bottle fermentation. almost as good as new glarus IIPA. I love this beer new or old but if i'm looking for a hop milkshake i'll get a green flash imperial ipa.

I'm on it..

Back