Dogfish Head Brewery/Brewpub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this weekend SWMBO took me to the Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, DE. It was a really fun trip. I expected the brewery to be a lot bigger than it was, i think they had about 8 fermenters, but they said they're about to double their capacity. Two or three of them were made of wood, one was Palo Santo. State law limits the tasting to about 12 oz of beer, so you get four small tasting glasses (probably end up getting closer to 20oz). We spent about $120 in the gift shop--SWMBO is the type who wants to buy everything she sees, for example: "they make dog biscuits!? well we have to get those too!"

Afterwards we went out to the brewpub in Rehoebeth (sp?). The place was packed but well worth the wait. I got to try some of their beers that I had never tasted--Chateu Jiahau, Pangea, Caffe de Que (amazing!). Sam was there eating with his family. We passed by as we went to our tables and with his son sitting on his lap he made sure to say hello to us as we passed. Before he left, he took the time to go around and greet everyone, taking pictures, etc. From what I saw, he seems to be everything the show makes him look like; a fun, friendly, energetic, and genuine guy.

I think they said the brewpub is the only brewery/restaurant/distillery in the country. They've got a line of flavored vodka, jin, and rum. We picked up a Peanut Butter Vodka and tried it last night; it was surprisingly tasty. I'm not a vodka guy, but i enjoyed just drinking it on the rocks. I also went home with a case of India Brown Ale.

I highly recommend the trek to anyone in the area!

cool man, i had no idea they made liquors either. they didn't mention that on the episodes i watched!

i'd never heard of the brewery before though, I don't think they export to canada:( I'd like to try some!

I think they said the brewpub is the only brewery/restaurant/distillery in the country. They've got a line of flavored vodka, jin, and rum. We picked up a Peanut Butter Vodka and tried it last night; it was surprisingly tasty. I'm not a vodka guy, but i enjoyed just drinking it on the rocks. I also went home with a case of India Brown Ale.

When I went to the Rogue brewery in 2009, they have a restaurant upstairs of the main brewery and they have a distillery, but it is not attached to the brewery, but is in a separate building on the property. So, probably semantics.

cool man, i had no idea they made liquors either. they didn't mention that on the episodes i watched!

i'd never heard of the brewery before though, I don't think they export to canada:( I'd like to try some!

They actually did briefly mention a distillery on the premises, but didn't really elaborate on it.

The distillery is pretty much just a brewpub gig...I'm not sure they even sell locally in the area.

RE: the OP, I agree the brewery tour is great fun, and always good to follow up for a good meal and tasting session at the brewpub in Rehobeth. That's pretty cool you got to meet Sam...people can like him or hate him, but he's still a brewing rock star, and I'll not forget that his brews are what really got me excited about brewing in the beginning...his brewery's creativity makes you realize that just about anything is possible when it comes to brewing beer.

My wife and I took a detour on a vacation to visit both the brewery and pub. They were well worth the trip! I came out of there with a handcart for the 5 cases of beer I bought!

definitely worth a trip if you are anywhere close to Rehobeth...peanut butter vodka is very good.

As a side note, quite a few really good restuarants in Rehobeth as well, most with pretty decent beer selections.

In regards to the size, I definitely agree that when I toured there I thought the brewery was very small in comparison to how well known they are. I enjoyed going to their brewpub as well. The brewpub actually sold some merch onsite cheaper than at the brewery (I bought a DFH messenger bag at the pub for $20 as opposed to the $30 or $40 it costs at the brewery). I will say that I actually like the food menu at the Alehouses around the DC area better than at the brewpub. It's definitely a trip I'd make again though!

If you ever get the chance to go to Milton/Rehobeth, it's pretty impressive to see that sort of operation built in that sort of location. Not where you'd expect to see a very successful brewery.

The distillery is pretty much just a brewpub gig...I'm not sure they even sell locally in the area.
RE: the OP, I agree the brewery tour is great fun, and always good to follow up for a good meal and tasting session at the brewpub in Rehobeth. That's pretty cool you got to meet Sam...people can like him or hate him, but he's still a brewing rock star, and I'll not forget that his brews are what really got me excited about brewing in the beginning...his brewery's creativity makes you realize that just about anything is possible when it comes to brewing beer.

They actually do sell it in some of the local stores around here, never tried it though.

The Dogfish Head brewpub is definately worth making the trek for, especially their pub only beers.

I had a beer there called Wrath of Pecant which was a brown ale brewed with pecans, powdered plaintain, and carob-very interesting.

Last time I went I got a growler of their Dogfish Head Ale-a blend of 60,90, & 120 minute IPA-delicious.

I've had the 75 minute IPA, which i think is a blend of 60 and 90 at the ale house and thought it was better than the 60 or the 90. I wish I thought to bring my growlers with me--i was kicking myself for that.

I've been to the ale house in Gaithersburg and one in Alexandria or Arlington or wherever that is. I was pleasantly surprised with their food.

If I remember correctly, those establishments simply license DFH and have very little else to do with Sam or the brewery.

Back