Dogfish 120

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
Just had to tell this amusing story about my first Dogfish 120 experience. I live in a very small, very rural area of Kentucky about 45 minutes outside of Lexington. Needless to say, craft beers are hard to come by without driving to "the big city."

In my small town of Cynthiana, you can't buy beer on Sundays. I had finished my latest homebrew stock on the previous night so I had to drive to one of my client's liquor stores in nearby Georgetown. He is known for being able to get his hands on some rare bourbons and has a respectable showcase of craft beers as well. After much deliberation I grabbed a bottle of Stone Ruination and took it to the counter. The owner didn't greet me with his usual "How the hell are ya'?" He just looked at me with this sinister grin. I asked what the hell was wrong with him and he just laughed...this is how the convo went:

"You want some 120?"

"How in the hell did you get 120?"

"It took a lot of begging and good chunk of change..."

"How many do you have?"

"Well I had a case before I put it online that I had it. I've got one left."

So I gladly paid $13 for my 12oz bottle and left. Let's just say that the experience of actually drinking it was just as awesome as actually finding it in the first place! And after my one bottle...I think I'll save the Ruination for a different night. THAT STUFF IS BOOZY!:drunk:

120 definitely has a punch to it!

I usually start getting warm about a quarter into it and by the time I'm finished I'm a happy camper.

Cheers!

I got a 120 for my birthday two years ago from my BIL...he got himself one too he was knocked out after drinking his...it's the same feeling I get when I drink a good scotch or whiskey a nice warming feeling and by the end of it you just feel more like a man

Managed to find one locally in a bar about a year ago or so. Cost me $12 for a bottle, which I paid because I had never been able to get my hands on one before.

The bartender asked, "are you sure you really want a beer that costs $12? I don't even know what this is, or why we sell it."

Yeah, I want it.

Honestly I didn't really think it was all that great of a beer, but it was a fun experience just the same.

We just started (in the last year) getting Dogfish back here in IN and alot of places are carrying 120 pretty consistently... If anyone wants more, Id be willing to do some trading...

As for myself, I like the 90min the best.

The 90 min was better for me as well. Honestly, with the 120 I was expecting a hop bomb but it actually tasted really balanced and even a little on the sweet side.

Bought a couple bottles when visiting the in-laws at Fenwick Island. Bought a bottle for my father- and brother-in-law. Threw the bottles in the fridge to chill a bit. 2 min later, my sister-in-law cracks one open - not knowing what it was..."It's ok...I guess...it's a little warm..."

Agreed, 90 minute is superior to the 120. When the 120 came out, it was wowie-zowie because it was such a high ABV. However, it doesn't have as much punch in the flavor as does the 90 minute - I think they must age out the bitterness. Not a bad beer but not one to hunt down after you've tried it once.

I'm glad I tried a 120 for the novelty of it, but it's not something I seek out every year. It'll kick your butt for sure though. If I get another one, I'll probably age it for a couple years and see how it develops.

(OP, I go to Cynthiana a lot for work and I'm shocked at your saying it's hard to find a good beer there ;))

(OP, I go to Cynthiana a lot for work and I'm shocked at your saying it's hard to find a good beer there ;))
HOLY CRAP SOMEONE KNEW WHERE CYNTHIANA WAS!! This calls for homebrew :) If you ever make it to Georgetown, check with Derek at Blurgrass Liquor Box. The guy is really knowledgeable and really tries to bring in the rare stuff. :mug:

I spent $10 or so for a bottle 2 years ago. They had it behind the counter at the beer store. It was neat to try, but I have no desire to drink it again. (well, not at THAT price!)

Pliny, OTOH, was Awesome!

I went back to the same store today and we told me that he got in some Hopslam. $18.99 for a 6-pack. It was hard to turn down, and I know I will be destroyed for this, but I got some Tim Smith Moonshine instead. lol

I went back to the same store today and we told me that he got in some Hopslam. $18.99 for a 6-pack. It was hard to turn down, and I know I will be destroyed for this, but I got some Tim Smith Moonshine instead. lol

I used to LOVE hopslam. This year I'm so-so on it. I think my lupulin acceptors are tired. I still bought a 6-pack, but I'm just much less into hoppy beers lately. I don't think it has the same amount of pine flavor as it used to. Again, it may be me.

Hopslam's alright, but I feel like there are better DIPAs for the price (or less). I usually get one on draft each year, but not a 6-pack. It's just starting to show up in my area, so I haven't tried this year's yet.

Hopslam's alright, but I feel like there are better DIPAs for the price (or less). I usually get one on draft each year, but not a 6-pack. It's just starting to show up in my area, so I haven't tried this year's yet.

I agree. Doubt I will get around to buying any this year. I did have a nice DIPA from Finch's about 2 months back. Hardcore Chimera. Probably 1/2 the cost of Hopslam and something I still enjoy...Sold

I think the thing that everyone overlooks (hey, an IPA!), is that 120 is best aged. Try one after a year or two, and you will change your mind.

I live on the outskirts of Madison, WI, and this little LS in town had it this week for the first time I'm guessing, because they don't usually get anything that good, they were selling it for $44 a 4-pack. I've never seen anybody around here sell more than a single at a time. Ive had my fill of it, TTYTT.

At the same ABV % as the 120min IPA, check out DogFish Head's "World Wide Stout" if you get a chance. As the name implies, it's a very dark, strong stout. I bought a bottle of it at the original DFH brewpub in Delaware. Like mentioned about the 120min, the World Wide Stout has some definite warming effects while drinking, however I liked it more than the 120min IPA.

Back