Does Wyeast 1010 produce hefe flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
curious if the Wyeast produces hefe flavours. I absolutely hate hefeweizens. The flavour just throws me off and I’m going to be brewing a simple mango wheat. 50/50 pale malt and wheat malt with no specialty grains.

I’m not sure if I should just use my us-05 or pick up some Wyeast 1010. I just don’t want to risk those banana clove esters.

I've never used 1010 but I've used S-05 in American style wheats and liked the results. It's clearer than what you'd get from a wheat yeast if that matters to you.

I’m definitely looking for a clean flavour so I think I’ll stick with the us05 and see how I like the results and if I’m looking for something extra out of the next batch I’ll try the 1010 out.

Sounds like you already settled on a good plan but I will say that I use 1010 a lot for American wheats, and I don't like Germen hefes at all either. I find 1010 quite clean, maybe just a hint of tartness compared to chico yeast but no banana/clove. I think it's cleaner than WL 320 though they are supposedly both Widmer strains. I like 1010 a lot for that style, and especially for fruit wheats.

Last edited:
I would recommend using 1010 over Chico. You won’t get any phenols or banana from it but it is more tart and will add a little complexity to your wheat beer.

1010 it is, I had one when I got home and didn’t notice just how tart it actually was.

Any recommendations on fermentation temperature to bring out the tartness? I was reading that 60f was a good temperature for wheat beers.

I brew almost all my ales, besides Belgians in the low mid 60's, but I don't have the best fermentation control. But, the beers turn out good.

From everything I’ve read 1010 was an Alt or Kölsch type yeast that has morphed over time. It’s able ferment rather cold similar to a Kölsch yeast. I’ve never used it that cold but I would bet you would get a much cleaner and maybe more lager like profile with a little sulfur that low... I would shoot for 64 then raise after a few days.

Just habit. I raise the temp a bit at the tail end of fermentation on pretty much all my beers, in theory to be sure the yeast finishes well, cleans up, etc.

Can someone describe the fermentation characteristics of 1010? It sounds a lot like the 2565 Kolsch strain (which I love in a wheat beer), and I'm wondering if it's also really slow to ferment and/or suffers from that perma-krausen thing?

It ferments out pretty fast for me at 64-65, I'd call it vigorous even, and I've never had a problem with the krausen persisting. It's a little slower to flocculate than some strains but not painfully so. It can throw off some sulfur during active fermentation. I've usually got it in the keg at 2 wk or less.

It ferments out pretty fast for me at 64-65, I'd call it vigorous even, and I've never had a problem with the krausen persisting. It's a little slower to flocculate than some strains but not painfully so. It can throw off some sulfur during active fermentation. I've usually got it in the keg at 2 wk or less.

Excellent, thanks!

Poured my first pint of WY1010 American wheat beer, and I'm impressed with this yeast strain. As promised, it fermented vigorously and I was ready to keg within two weeks. The slight crispness makes malt flavors really pop. I'll be keeping this one on hand, and I think I'll be putting this to work soon on a quick kolsch or pseudo lager.

Back