Does this look normal after 2 weeks in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallysparx

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a novice beer brewer who decided to take a shot at making some hard cider. From what I've been reading, cider doesn't make as much krausen and bubbling as beer does. From my video below, do I look ok, or did I do something wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc9P8GfS-g0&feature=youtu.be

For a small 1 gallon batch I worked off of a base of Martinelli's non-sparkling cider, a cup of brown sugar, with Safale US-05 doing the hard work with help from a little Fermaid K.

That looks exactly like mine did last week. Mine has gone back to a nearly clear non-bubbling 4 gallons just waiting for me to drop campden tablets into it before I back sweeten it.

Looks like star san bubbles to me. I don't see anything alarming.

Cider doesn't make much bubbling when you are using champagne or wine yeasts, but if you use an ale yeast be prepared to leave some head room or you will get stuff blowing through the airlocks. I learned the hard way experimenting with some Notty (but ohhh... so worth it.)

Thanks for the advice. I started with a blowoff tube going out into a small tub of sanitizer, then switched to the airlock after it calmed down. I'll just have to try to keep it out of sight, out of mind.

That's perfectly fine. I have one just starting right now and my last two ciders looked like that at some point. The first one was just a few days in and the other was 2 weeks in, which I found strange bc I used same yeast and everything. Anyway, you are fine.

Latest posts

Back