Does this harvested yeast look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
I just brewed a cream ale with WLP080... When the starter was complete, I used the yeast vial washed and then sanitized with star-san to pour some of the fresh starter into the vial. I put it away in my fridge to use for a future batch (with starter of course).

But I noticed some darkening in the yeast that I wonder if it is OK or not... I *think* I may have seen this with new vials, but not completely sure... If it's not a good sign I will just have to wash and reharvest the yeast in the fermenter I am transferring the beer off tomorrow. FYI, the beer is perfectly fine and tastes incredible! If this is an infection of some sort, it happened in the vial.

Here is a picture of the vial in question:

IMG_4659-2_zpsvinvalz2.jpg

My guess is that is just some color from your starter wort, I wouldn't be concerned.

Have you tried harvesting from your fermenter and re-pitching the slurry to a new batch...works well and is super easy for me....

My guess is that is just some color from your starter wort, I wouldn't be concerned.

Have you tried harvesting from your fermenter and re-pitching the slurry to a new batch...works well and is super easy for me....

Awesome, thanks for the peace of mind :mug:

I have harvested from the fermenter before, but because I did a larger-than-needed starter for this cream ale I brewed I figured pulling some from the starter directly would result in better yeast for my next batch. I may still harvest some from the fermenter on this batch just to have more yeast to use, it can't hurt.

I harvest all of my yeast from my starters and it works very well for me. +10 generations on many of my yeast strains

my question would be why there is green-ish beer on top of it if you harvested from a starter...

edit: nvm, realized thats the backside of the label on the vial

Back