Does star san eat brew buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
My true brew bucket started leaking my star san solution from the bottom. I looked in the bucket after dumping it and saw cracks along all the edges. I've previously kept some star san solution in there for a couple months cause I don't brew or bottle too often and I like getting a few things done with each star san batch.

I also use these buckets for cleaning with oxyclean which can sit for around 12 hours each use.

Should I be putting star san into a glass carboy when not in use? How about those better bottles too? Don't own one yet but curious.

It could possibly depend on if you are mixing the Star san correctly. It is a very powerful chemical in it's undiluted form so if you are mixing to much Star san with to little water it may still be fairly caustic but I don't think most acids will eat through plastic.

Others on the site are most likely more knowledgeable than me in this area.

Linc

Question about your methodology.

Do you pour the Starsan in the bucket then add water? Or vice versa?

Someone else posted a similar issue recently. Either cheap bucket production or putting the Starsan in first(being an acid I think) might be damaging the bucket. Doubt it tho, considering many acids come in appropriate plastic containers.

How does everyone else mix their sanitizer? Sanitizer first then water or other way around?

Always add the acid to the base. At least that's what I remember from High school cem class. Man that was a long time ago. :(

LOL High school was a while ago for me as well. Yes adding acid to water is the safest, but do we always do what is safest... :)

I was curious how most did their mixing. Random thought that had cross my mind.

LOL High school was a while ago for me as well. Yes adding acid to water is the safest, but do we always do what is safest... :)

I was curious how most did their mixing. Random thought that had cross my mind.

I add the StarSan to the water and gently mix. I do it that way because if I mix water (especially with a hose or from the faucet) into StarSan or concentrated StarSan solution, I get towers of foam.
I'm not too worried about a chemical reaction based on the order in which I mix the two...haha.

I use a plastic bucket as well.
I get the water started to fill and after it hits the gallon mark I add my doses of concentrate. That way I feel it mixes as it is filling and i don't have to stir it. I does create some decent foam though.

....decent foam.... Well, heck YEAH! You are supposed to make sure to have plenty of foam..... doesn't everyone make foam hats and beards while they brew? .... anyone?..... (crickets chirping in background)

I measure my starsan with a syringe and add it to a gallon jug of distilled water, recap and shake. Then I pour it in a spray bottle for use.

Star San comes in a one gallon plastic jug. It will not have any impact on plastic buckets.

Mike

All plastics are not the same.

Gasoline comes in plastic... try pouring some in one of those red plastic drink cups!

Starsan shouldn't eat plastic in diluted form, but at full concentration it might destroy some (not all).

Yeah, I keep starsan in plastic buckets indefinitely. It's mainly phosphoric acid---won't eat plastic at the prescribed concentration. You just don't want to store metal in it for extremely long periods. Also, unless its distilled water, the metals in your tap water will slowly, over the course of months, screw with the pH and start to cut down in the effectiveness of its sanitizing properties---so if it gets cloudy or you take a pH reading and it's high, then add my concentrate or mix a new batch. Otherwise, that's really all you need to know.

Depends on the grade of plastic-

What do those recycling numbers mean?

There are multiple threads on this; some say it is plastic, which I think plays a factor, but the main other argument, and more likely, is PH. If it is mixed right, and what your water has in it. I still don't see it causing "cracks", but can see it leaving a slimy residue on the inside of your bucket. I once had micromatic lines (yellow lettering) in a solution for a week, pulled it out, and the lettering is now white!

Back