Does CO2 in a tank ever go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I have a tank that the last hydro stamp is in 1994!!!

I know about hydro testing I'm not asking about that.

My question is, the tank is full, can I use the CO2 in my beer?

Does CO2 in a tank ever go bad or sour (I don't know what to call it)?

I used a tank with a hydro of 1973. It's fine

PROVE IT!!!

I thought 1994 was old. That is the only date on the tank. Are all shop sticklers about the hydro or have you found some just don't care about the hydro and kept refilling?

I just exchanged a tank that the hydro expired March 2012 but I guess they didn't care that we were a few days into April. The exchanged it no problem.

airgas usually doesn't care about the age of the tanks and hydro-date. as far as using old co2... the co2 is from around 4 billion bc, so i reckon it's still good

PROVE IT!!!

I thought 1994 was old. That is the only date on the tank. Are all shop sticklers about the hydro or have you found some just don't care about the hydro and kept refilling?

I just exchanged a tank that the hydro expired March 2012 but I guess they didn't care that we were a few days into April. The exchanged it no problem.
Wait... Wait...

You asked a question that was properly answered and now you pull "PROVE IT!!!".

You asked - "My question is, the tank is full, can I use the CO2 in my beer?"

The refill of the tank is a totally different issue. It must be hydro tested before refill. A lot of the major exchange shops do not charge for hydro testing. It is business as usual for them. IF you take it to a place that does refill of YOUR tank that is past hydro test date, they will charge you for it or refuse to refill. Count on that.!

The tank I used had a production date of 1954. The last hydro stamp was 1973. It was still full when I got it. I used it without any issue or weird flavor or smell. It's inert it's co2. Sorry I don't have anything to "prove it" When it was empty I traded it in. I'm sure I came on here and posted with a great made up story so you use the "old 1994 co2" and ruin your beer. Yeah that's it.

I just bought 2 20# co2 tanks for 25 bucks a pop. They were full and the last hydro stamp was in the 70's as well. Rusty as hell on the outside. I've been using them with no off flavors and I'll swap em out when the time comes.

A guy from work gave me a 20# two years ago stamped '93. I'll be trading it in when the time comes to refill it. Two years, countless kegs force carbonated, and the damn thing still hasn't kicked!

Wait... Wait...

You asked a question that was properly answered and now you pull "PROVE IT!!!".

You asked - "My question is, the tank is full, can I use the CO2 in my beer?"

The refill of the tank is a totally different issue. It must be hydro tested before refill. A lot of the major exchange shops do not charge for hydro testing. It is business as usual for them. IF you take it to a place that does refill of YOUR tank that is past hydro test date, they will charge you for it or refuse to refill. Count on that.!

I said "PROVE IT" to the statement that he was using a tank with a hydro stamp of 1973. Just a joke, I wasn't asking him to actually prove anything scientific or about my original question.

The tank I used had a production date of 1954. The last hydro stamp was 1973. It was still full when I got it. I used it without any issue or weird flavor or smell. It's inert it's co2. Sorry I don't have anything to "prove it" When it was empty I traded it in. I'm sure I came on here and posted with a great made up story so you use the "old 1994 co2" and ruin your beer. Yeah that's it.

Sorry if the "Prove it!!!" came off argumentative or something. I was just joking around. Not doubting you. :mug:

Back