Does Aubers Ez Boil "Learn" its environment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have an HLT with selectable power 4500 or 9000 watts depending what I'm doing downstream and how many amps I have available. I'm guessing this will confuse a PID as it will over shoot when the second element is turned on.

Does the EZ Boil work the same way or will its algorithmic approach still get confused when the temp rises faster at times?

I don't know about the EZ Boil specifically, but a PID is a closed loop feedback system that will react based on its coefficient values P, I, and D, which are typically fixed as they are manually entered or determined via some sort of "autotune" system. You will need to do some water testing to determine if those coefficients at 4500w will also apply at 9000w, but my guess is that they will work well enough for water heating.

My experience with the Ezboil is that it doesn't really learn but uses set variables to regulate itself to the approaching temp. I have both the AuberPIDs and the EZboil the thing about the ezboil is the more granular pulsing control, so as it approaches the temp it doesn't completely rely on PID variables.

Back