Does Apple Juice Need Pectic Enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadrol

Reaction score
I just finished racking my caramel apple mead into secondary and of course I don't expect it to be clearing yet, but I was just wondering...with apple juice, should I have added pectic enzyme to help with clearing?

Well that was short, sweet and to the point LOL. Can I add it in secondary with any success or should I resign myself to a tasty but cloudy batch?

I don't know...It certainly won't hurt to add it, and you can still try finings if it doesn't clear up naturally with time (or with the addition of pectic enzyme....) I've had great luck with SuperKleer KC -- it's a combined product that you add in sequence (one packet first, then the other a little later on) and it generally drops things crystal clear in 24 hrs.

Actually...just did a quick search and came across the following (post #11), regarding pectin haze and fining:

Here is an update on my cloudy Edelweiss wine:

Following the positive pectin test I treated with pectin enzyme, waited three weeks and followed-up with a gentle bentonite fining. Results were disappointing. Perhaps I should have heated the wine up to 80 degrees (instead of leaving it at my cellar temperature of 64F).

Anyway, two days ago I treated the wine with 2-part Super-Kleer (Kieselsol followed by Chitosan) and its has already fallen brilliantly clear. I plan to rack it off the finings tomorrow...and, hopefully, will find that the fining did not strip too much flavor/nose from the wine. Wish me luck.

Back