Does anyone use Thermoworks RT301WA? The calibration makes no sense at all.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just bought an RT301WA and reading the instructions here.

The calibration makes no sense at all. it says place the thermometer in a temperature calibrator...which is what? I have no clue what a temperature calibrator is.

There is another piece of info I found on the website: "Adjustable Calibration

Under the sealed SS screw in the front panel is an adjustment screw that allows you to re-zero the thermometer in an ice bath, and remove minor errors if ever needed. However, thermometer readings should remain within the ±0.9°F spec without adjustment."

This makes more sense....but I dont know how to prepare that ice bath. Isnt it a bunch of ice cubes left in a glass in the fridge till they melt and produce enough liquid for the probe? I think that's what I read somewhere before.

What you want is ice in a container with water to about the top of the ice. That will be 32f.

You want ice cold water, take as much ice as you have and fill a cup, then fill said cup with water and wait a few minutes until its near 32f and calibrate with it.

I have the same thermometer and it's reading about 2 degrees high. When I pull out the screw, it looks like there's a little slot inside, about the size of screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit. I can't seem to get the head to catch and turn the slot.

If anyone else has calibrated one of these before I'd love to hear how you did it.

Latest posts

Back