Does anybody have a guide to temperature for different grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Guys

I have put together my very own recipe but not sure what temperature to mash the grain. I am thinking on going with 150f for mash but not sure if that is the best temp Anybody have a good guide for different temps for different grains?

what is your recipe? I think that the mash temp is more influenced by the end result of the brew. do you want it to be drier or maltier? the lower the mash temp the more fermentalbe the wort will be and thus the drier the beer. I am not an expert with grains so i do not know if there are certain malts that need to be mashed in a specific temp range. Maybe pilsner malts, but i think they just need a longer mash time to convert.

If you supply your reicpe i bet someone with more experience can offer a more compete answer.

I'm doing a Cream ale and my grains are
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %

150 should be fine. Cream Ales generally have some corn in them (if you're brewing to style).

Yeah, temperature has to do with style of beer you are brewing, not kinds of grain. Mash closer to 150F for a thin mouthfeel (like a cream ale). Mash in the upper 150's for thicker mouthfeel beers (e.g., Scottish ales or sweet stouts). It generally depends on what you want in the beer, not the kind of grain.

If your getting into AG brewing you should definatly pick up a book. There are different temps different types of grains require to acheive different results. Majority of mashes will work with one temp between 152 and 158 (most effective temps for conversion of starch to sugar ) but less modified grains such as unmalted wheat, rye, barley, and adjuncts may require protien or beta glucan rests for best results and best lauterability. Any good brewing book will have a chart or section regarding this topic and what temps are required. All beit you do not need it but if your into brewing it's fun to experiment with.

Ya, this is what you want. You can look further into that book to determine what grain needs what temp

Enzyme
Optimum
Temperature
Range Working pH Range
Function

Phytase
86-126°F
5.0-5.5
Lowers the mash pH. No longer used.

Debranching (var.)
95-113°F
5.0-5.8
Solubilization of starches.

Beta Glucanase
95-113°F
4.5-5.5
Best gum breaking rest.

Peptidase
113-131°F
4.6-5.3
Produces Free Amino Nitrogen (FAN).

Protease
113-131°F
4.6-5.3
Breaks up large proteins that form haze.

Beta Amylase
131-150°F
5.0-5.5
Produces maltose.

Alpha Amylase
154-162°F
5.3-5.7
Produces a variety of sugars, including maltose.

Back