Does amylase or glucoamylase reduce malt flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The intent for using enzymes is to chew up remaining unconverted starches and break down some of the long chain sugars that the yeast cannot ferment. The long chain sugars are what give the beer its maltiness so using the enzymes will get you a less malty beer.

The intent for using enzymes is to chew up remaining unconverted starches and break down some of the long chain sugars that the yeast cannot ferment. The long chain sugars are what give the beer its maltiness so using the enzymes will get you a less malty beer.

Exactly what I was thinking but the extent to which the maltiness is reduced would most likely be a matter of taste.

Alluding to my question for @bracconiere what can be done to retain more of the maltiness? Or is it even possible?

When drinking commercial low carb beers you will occasionally get one (on draught) that is noticeably "malty" and I would assume these commercial breweries are using a form of amylase also.

Does adding body increase maltiness or the perception thereof?

well i've made a REALLY malty beer once with all base malt homemalt, that finished at 1.000 because of gluco...i don't know exactly what temp i kilned the malt at though that had it come out so good, unfortantly...i loved that beer!

well i've made a REALLY malty beer once with all base malt homemalt, that finished at 1.000 because of gluco...i don't know exactly what temp i kilned the malt at though that had it come out so good, unfortantly...i loved that beer!

Yea those are the ones you'd like to be able to repeat.

Back