Do your under age kids drink w/you at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its kind of funny that you can see where people grew up reflected in there ideaology.
I grew up rural and still am rural. I do believe that if you dont agree with a law, then dont go along with it. However if your caught, face the consequences dont be a sissy. The same is bred into people that were either raised or have family from very rural areas. We do as we please and believe is right, not what big brother says we can or cant [we also call you city folk yuppies, its our little secret]. We have our own moral compass and usually settle disputes with some punches thrown and ice packs and beer all around afterward.

AS for letting my children drink, well they are 3 so hell no, but I will reconsider as they get older, my state atleast for now offers me that right.

I have two daughters (19,12), the 19 year old is allowed to have wine, beer or hard lemonade/wine cooler if she asks...no going out afterwards, never excess. The 12 year old can have a taste of whatever the rest if us are having.

I find it interesting that the american culture has criminalized whats basically food. The government has dictated that I as a parent can't teach my girls how to use alcohol responsibly, but I can go to a store and buy them every piece of crap junk food and feed them until their over weight, full of tooth decay and other health problems and that is perfectly ok. Of corse at 18 they can buy cigarettes and slowly kill themselves...again that's fine.

Does there need to be limits...of course. But when? When a person can drive, vote, get married, fight and die for their country (16 or 18), those are very adult things to do...or should it be 21 why not 25 or 30. Maybe alcohol should be done away with again because I can't make responsible decisions in life. The "21" age is a bad law, if they want "21" then make everything "21"

Ok I'm getting off the soap box now.

My oldest son is six and I often ask him if he want a sip of my beer. He always politely declines. I want to teach him that beer ( like wine and whiskey and all else) is a labor of love for someone and that each sip should be enjoyed and appreciated - not had for the sake of drunkenness. Feeling "high" is a chemical reaction of the body that youngsters ( ok, and oldsters) can't control and if he has the sense to understand that early, then I have no problem letting him taste alcohol before he's 21. Certainly the government does not know what's best for my family better than I.

Give my kid beer? Not a chance. That kind of welfare-state dependence is crippling this generation.

Personal responsibility starts in the home. If my son wants beer, or food, or diapers, he'll get a job...not ask for hand-outs. My sister's kid has been completely ruined by this mindset. He expects to be fed, cleaned, and played with nearly every day.

Give my kid beer? Not a chance. That kind of welfare-state dependence is crippling this generation.

Personal responsibility starts in the home. If my son wants beer, or food, or diapers, he'll get a job...not ask for hand-outs. My sister's kid has been completely ruined by this mindset. He expects to be fed, cleaned, and played with nearly every day.

I hear ya! our 5 y/o had it easy for the first 6 months. after that, he got a job in the coal mines. MSHA started pitching a fit, so he became a pipe welder. and the 2 y/o was born with a stinger in one hand & a mash paddle in the other.

I think this is obviously a touchy subject with varying opinions. The way I feel as a parent is kids shouldn't just be given alcohol, but they shouldn't be shielded from its existence either. At a very young age I took a sip from my moms drink thinking it was coke, well I spit it out faster than I could take the sip. I also never liked the taste of beer until I was in my 20s. When my daughter reaches high school I will teach her to drink responsibly and how to control herself because I'm not always going to be there to make the right choices for her. I think the important lesson to teach is just that. Teach them how to be responsible about it and not be the kid at the party that's blacked out and throwing up on themselves because they chugged a half a bottle of straight liquor or let themselves be taken advantage of by making poor choices. Too many kids think its a contest about who can drink the most instead of enjoying themselves while maintaining their self respect. People fall victim to their own stupidity, so I do my best to give her the knowledge needed to know better instead of learning the hard way.

I find it interesting that the american culture has criminalized whats basically food. The government has dictated that I as a parent can't teach my girls how to use alcohol responsibly, but I can go to a store and buy them every piece of crap junk food and feed them until their over weight, full of tooth decay and other health problems and that is perfectly ok. Of corse at 18 they can buy cigarettes and slowly kill themselves...again that's fine.

I wonder how many innocent bystanders have been killed by an overweight person or a smoker behind the wheel vs. a drunk person behind the wheel?

The key is responsibly. Regardless how irresponsible you are with eating and smoking, the risk of hurting someone else is pretty low. If you are irresponsible with alcohol the risk to others is much greater and perhaps that plays into some of the differences in regulations/laws.

There are tons of laws we could do without if everyone was on their best behavior all the time, but they aren't.

I wonder how many innocent bystanders have been killed by an overweight person or a smoker behind the wheel vs. a drunk person behind the wheel?

The key is responsibly. Regardless how irresponsible you are with eating and smoking, the risk of hurting someone else is pretty low. If you are irresponsible with alcohol the risk to others is much greater and perhaps that plays into some of the differences in regulations/laws.

There are tons of laws we could do without if everyone was on their best behavior all the time, but they aren't.

A portion of my taxes go to paying a disability check, hospital care or other related expenses due to issues stemming from obesity or smoking. So it does have a direct effect on me and my family and none of us should be forced to pay a single penny to maintain or repair anothers lifestyle decisions.

A portion of my taxes go to paying a disability check, hospital care or other related expenses due to issues stemming from obesity or smoking. So it does have a direct effect on me and my family and none of us should be forced to pay a single penny to maintain or repair anothers lifestyle decisions.

We all pay for stuff we don't think we should have to support but that's a red herring to the point.

You've taken it out of context. Go back and read what started that point and you'll hopefully understand where it came from.

I don't feel I took it out of context. if anything, I was reiterating the point of responsibility of an individual and pushing the point of a parents responsibility of teaching respect for alcohol to the child.

whoaru99 said:

I would call overweight children learning bad eating habits from their parents innocent bystanders...same for kids getting secondhand smoke or picking up the habit innocent bystanders also. More people dies of heart disease and smoking related problems than are killed by drunk drivers (personally I feel there should be 0 tolerance for OWI). Very few people under 21 are picked up for drunk driving, at least in my area, it's more like the 40 year old coming home for bowling. I wonder if it's because their parents teach them about alcohol use?

While some good points, none in dispute, again though, I think they're deflections away from the original point.

We all pay for stuff we don't think we should have to support but that's a red herring to the point.

It isn't a red herring at all because any time we have to pay even a penny more in taxes to cover anothers self inflicted health issues such as this it is directly affecting us all. Social issues are not something the fed giv should be involved with and therefore become either a states rights issue or an individual issue.

Just because some fatty can't put down the bacon does not give them the right to take money from taxpayers to continue this lifestyle choice nor is it the .govs responsibility to provide any assistance in the matter. The same as it is not the states job to get involved with how I teach my children about responsible alcohol consumption and handling or the handling of firearms etc. It is the parents duty to handle those decisions and anyone who says otherwise is a fool who walks a very slippery slope.

Let me get this straight.... You don't think anyone should be involved in how you raise your kids or the decisions you make, yet you should decide how someone else should behave, i.e. not putting down the bacon. Seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me.

Let me get this straight.... You don't think anyone should be involved in how you raise your kids or the decisions you make, yet you should decide how someone else should behave, i.e. not putting down the bacon. Seems like a bit of hypocrisy to me.

Not what I said at all.

The gist of it is go ahead and eat all the bacon you want and be as fat as you want, but the second you infringe on my liberties through such actions is where my give a crap ends. Same goes for all areas of life and anything that uneccesarily impacts others.

It isn't hypocrisy at all as I hold myself to this standard and teach it to my children as well.

Airborneguy said:
Whenever someone says "slippery slope" and they aren't skiing or mountaineering, I throw up in my mouth.

Indeed. You'd think that a bunch of brewers would be more wary of the argument, since it's the heart and soul of every prohibition-era law in this country. Part of believing that individuals can make rational decisions is acknowledging that he or she can distinguish shades other than black and white.

I have four kids. The oldest is 6 and the youngest is still brewing. They've all sampled "grown up" drinks, and they all know the difference between quality and swill. Even my 17 month old has to be reminded "SMALL sip! SMALL sip!" She would drain the glass if you let her. And I'm perfectly comfortable drinking up to about a 4 oz. pour while pregnant a couple of times a week, or tasting generously from the sample tube when testing the gravity.

Besides exposing them to responsible alcohol consumption, I think the home brewing process really teaches them that alcoholic beverages are about so much more than just getting drunk. They see how much work we put into a batch of beer to make it taste right. They even get to help as much as they can. Honestly the only limitations on helping are more for sanitation reasons than anything else. Kids are germ monkeys.

Otterella said:
I have four kids. The oldest is 6 and the youngest is still brewing. They've all sampled "grown up" drinks, and they all know the difference between quality and swill. Even my 17 month old has to be reminded "SMALL sip! SMALL sip!" She would drain the glass if you let her. And I'm perfectly comfortable drinking up to about a 4 oz. pour while pregnant a couple of times a week, or tasting generously from the sample tube when testing the gravity.

Besides exposing them to responsible alcohol consumption, I think the home brewing process really teaches them that alcoholic beverages are about so much more than just getting drunk. They see how much work we put into a batch of beer to make it taste right. They even get to help as much as they can. Honestly the only limitations on helping are more for sanitation reasons than anything else. Kids are germ monkeys.

Sounds like we need you in this debate too!!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f96/drinking-whilst-pregnant-360396/

My sons are 15 and 12, I don't really care what others do, but these two are too young at this point IMO to be drinking alcohol.

Airborneguy said:
Whew, that one got judgmental real fast!

I'm not judging!! I'm all for personal rights especially with this since pregnant women have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years!! I just thought since she's doing what "most of american society" deems unsafe and what laws state that her experiences would be appreciated in that thread..

I've read through a large number of these posts and i've got a different perspective to share.

I've just gotten into the brewing hobby and love it. I have only been legally allowed to drink for a few years now (<5) and grew up in a family where there was no alcohol in the house. I wish i had been educated before i got to college and didnt know what to expect. Instead of it being something I respected, it was something new and exciting and that makes it much easier to become a problem. I've had my share of "those nights" and wish my dad would have educated me more of what to expect, rather than just completely ignoring the topic. I can also say that IF i have kids one day you better bet the first time they drink is with me. I would much rather be there to explain what beer can do and how easy you can get hurt before they go out and find out on their own with people who can't take care of them or have little experience.

I have always loved to cook, and with homebrewing i can experiment with tastes and aromas to create my own brews and I find that awesome. I think brewing is a great hobby for those who enjoy cooking and DIY, which is me in a nutshell.

Really? Baptists are a small group compared to say, those of Islamic belief where drinking is forbidden. There is plenty of trouble in regions where the Islamic faith is predominant.

MalFet said:
I dunno about that. There aren't too many Baptists in Bangladesh, Laos, or Sierra Leone. Not sure I'd identify any of those places as exactly problem-free.

Heh... Syria, Egypt, and Libya are wall-to-wall Baptists. Triad of contentment right there!

Really? Baptists are a small group compared to say, those of Islamic belief where drinking is forbidden. There is plenty of trouble in regions where the Islamic faith is predominant.

And where Buddhism is predominant. And where Hinduism is predominant. And where shamanism is predominant. And where people aren't particularly religious...

I'm not judging!! I'm all for personal rights especially with this since pregnant women have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years!! I just thought since she's doing what "most of american society" deems unsafe and what laws state that her experiences would be appreciated in that thread..

I knew what you meant, its some other people in that thread that did enough judging for all of us!

Not to continually beat a dead horse, but I think part of this is also about knowing your kids, and what they're likely to be OK with vs. what could be a problem for them. Two admittedly anecdotal pieces of evidence from my life:

Story 1: When I turned 18 years old, my older brother bought me a corncob pipe and some tobacco and we had a smoke together, a sort of coming-of-age ritual. At the time he gave me a very sensible speech, something along the lines of, "This thing is fun to do sometimes, but it can be dangerous if you do it too much, and it can be addictive. Don't be stupid with it." I'm now 31, and I smoke occasionally (pipes and cigars), but I've never had anything like a habit--I'll smoke maybe once every 1-2 months, and I don't miss it or even think much about it in between.

When our younger brother (ten years younger than me) turned 18, I bought him a pipe and some tobacco, and gave him the same speech our older brother had given me. However, my little brother, to my dismay, really got into smoking quite heavily, and is now smoking cigarettes regularly and dipping as well. He swears up and down that he's not addicted and can quit whenever he feels like it, but it's pretty clear that to me that he's got an issue. I feel pretty sh*tty about this since I'm the one who "initiated" him in the habit, even though I stressed to him (several times now) the dangers inherent in abusing tobacco and the risk of becoming dependent on it.

Story 2: I have two sons, ages 6 (almost 7) and 8. I'm sure I could give my older son alcohol and he would have no problem with it. He helps out with brewing and is interested in the process, but doesn't like the smell of the results. With my younger son, on the other hand, I am concerned about giving him a sample of my beers. He is fascinated with growing up and being an adult, doing the things that adults do. He gets upset because he can't stay up as late as we do, he doesn't understand why Daddy can say some words that he can't say (like "stupid"--I try to minimize the cursing around the little guys), and he really wants to drink alcohol. And he's very interested in the idea of what it's like to be "drunk". This is probably because we just finished reading Treasure Island where many of the characters have, ahem, a negative relationship with alcohol. He jokes about feeling drunk and talks about how he wants to get drunk, in spite of his mom's and my attempts to explain that when people get drunk they (a) usually do stupid stuff that they regret later and (b) end up getting horribly sick afterwards. And it's not just with alcohol where I can see these tendencies in my younger son--he is always wanting to take medicine, even to the point of making his mom and I think that he's sick so we'll give him some.

If I only had my older son I wouldn't hesitate to give him an occasional taste of my drinks. As it is, I don't allow either of them to try it, because I don't want to have a double standard, but I also don't want my younger son to get the idea that it's fun and exciting to drink whenever you can get your hands on the stuff, like the way he apparently feels about cough medicine. I will probably allow them to drink limited quantities under my supervision at home when they're older (like 14 or 15), but for now it's off limits.

But my point with both of these stories is that much depends on you children's personalities. I could give my younger son alcohol right now and maybe it would remove the mystery, but maybe it would just make him like it more and make him more prone to drinking more of it in the future when he's out with friends, since "it's no big deal, I drink at home all the time." Maybe my little brother would have taken up smoking all by himself, but my attempt to share some brotherly bonding the way that our older brother did with me didn't work out that way. What had worked for me (it taught me that tobacco was something to be enjoyed but also respected for the potential harm that it could cause) didn't work for him. And I think the same is probably true with kids and alcohol. For some, being introduced to it at a young age might be the way to keep them from fetishizing it when they're older. For others, doing so might make them more prone to abusing it later on in life.

I should also mention that there's a pretty serious history of alcoholism in my family, as my grandfather and uncle on my mom's side and grandfather, grandmother, father and two uncles on my dad's side were all (or are now) legendary drunks. It's something I've always been VERY aware of with respect to my own consumption, but thankfully I think that gene skipped me. But with regard to my kids, I'm also very aware that either or both of them may have some degree of predisposition, which makes the whole issue more complex as well.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject.

For those saying they don't let their kids drink at home because it's against the law: it's never too late to start thinking for yourself. Laws don't change people, they change consequences, and profit opportunities.

Let say that one week you and your 21 year old son are watching a football game at home drinking a beer, then the next week they raise the legal age to 22 (assume no grandfather clause). You're actually going to tell your son that you two can't watch the game and drink beer like you did last week? Weak.

If childhood obesity causes sugar or pizza to become illegal for kids, you would ban them from your kids that do sports all year? Weak.

For those saying they don't let their kids drink at home because it's against the law: it's never too late to start thinking for yourself.

And for you, it's never too late to start thinking about someone other than yourself. ;)

Some people value and support the rule of law. No need to treat them as sheep.

m_stodd's example sounds oh so witty until you read back and realize most of the people saying that their decision is based on the law are referring to children in their early teens, or even younger. We're not arguing over the righteousness of giving beer to a 20 years, 364 day old kid as far as I can tell.

There are plenty of people who agree with the 21 to drink law. Honestly, I tend to agree that it is a good measure, mainly because it gives most teenagers a few years to learn how to drive properly before alcohol comes into the equation. What someone allows in their own home though is a different matter. I'm not going to play the "out of my cold dead hands" nonsense over something no authority will ever find out about anyway.

MalFet said:
And for you, it's never too late to start thinking about someone other than yourself. ;)

Some people value and support the rule of law. No need to treat them as sheep.

This country was founded by people who followed the rule of law....wait....no it wasn't.

This country was founded by people who followed the rule of law....wait....no it wasn't.

I think you'll find that the founders of this country were very committed to the rule of law. The American revolution was a carefully considered response to injustice. It wasn't a bunch of dudes sitting around leeching the latest Ke$ha torrents, feeling empowered by what they could get away with.

Back