Do you whisk in DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
Just a little observation.

For my first two batches I used a spoon to stir in DME as I slowly added it to my wort. This caused some lumps to form in the wort that didn't dissolve.

As a chef I know that using a whisk when stirring in a powder (ie. flour, DME) will break it up to smaller particles and allow for better dissolving. I now whisk in my DME and it dissolves perfectly. No lumps at all.

That's all. :D :tank:

try mixing the DME in cold water. I usually set apart X amount of water that has been subtracted from the total amount of the boil, mix the DME and then add that to the boiling water. Makes things much easier for me.

david_the_greek said:
try mixing the DME in cold water. I usually set apart X amount of water that has been subtracted from the total amount of the boil, mix the DME and then add that to the boiling water. Makes things much easier for me.

I'm not really looking for other options since this works great for me, but thanks. Just wanted to find out if other people do this too. :mug:

that cold water will kill the boil temp. by quite a bit...especially not ideal for late extract additions.

when I add my DME, I sorta sift it. DME REALLY wants to pull water back into it, so I just shake my container (usually Gladware) and let it go into the wort as I vigorously stir it up. seems to prevent major clumps well.

I have only used DME for one batch and noticed the clumping problem too. When I make starters it clumps, but I get them to go away simply by stirring. From now on though I will whisk whether I use it for an extract brew or a starter that makes such good sense I feel stupid for not thinking of it.

I'm with malkore on this one. I'm usually doing late extract additions, so I don't want any cold water in there. I just try to slowly shake the DME into the pot while stirring briskly. I'll have to try the whisk though, I hadn't thought of that.

I use DME for yeast starters, so only about 4oz at a time, but whisking is the only way to go IMO.

I use a paddle stirrer with holes and kind of 'fold' it in little by little. The clumps dissolve as you stir, so it's usually fine as long as you don't dump it all in at once.

PicoD42 said:
I'm with malkore on this one. I'm usually doing late extract additions, so I don't want any cold water in there. I just try to slowly shake the DME into the pot while stirring briskly. I'll have to try the whisk though, I hadn't thought of that.

Same here. I add the DME while the wort is boiling. I give the wort a good stir and slowly add the DME. the only times I've gotten clumps of DME is when adding it after removing the grains. The temp at that point is only about 155. That's probably the main issue there. Maybe if you add the DME right before the boiling point it wouldn't clump.

This is kind of an interesting thread to me. When I was doing extract batches, I thought nothing of any of this and had absolutely no problems. Dumped my DME in all at once, stirred thoroughly and never had any clumps, burns or anything.

Also, even today when I use DME for starters, I just dump it all in and stir. Never had any clumps or scorching of any kind.

i turn off the heat, dump it in slowly and stir. i have previously had problems with clumping...i think the main problem people have is that they don't take it off the heat. with boiling water, it'll clump from the steam before it even hits the surface...which will stop it from dissolving.

Latest posts

Back