Do you Stir in your Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you stir your priming solution and your beer in your bottling bucket?

• Yes, and I've never had uneven carbonation issues.

• No, and I've never had uneven carbonation issues.

• Yes, and I sometimes get uneven carbonation.

• No, and I sometimes get uneven carbonation.

• I use Carb Drops/add directly to bottles.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Updated stats:

Unconditional probability of never having uneven carb:
81% +/- 8% @ 95% confidence

Conditional probability of never having uneven carb, given stirring:
81% +/- 10% @ 95% confidence

Conditional probability of never having uneven carb, given NOT stirring:
81% +/- 12% @ 95% confidence

Still large error ranges with only a handful of "sometimes" responses, but so far, there is no statistical correlation between stirring & uneven carb.
n=100

Updated stats:

Unconditional probability of never having uneven carb:
81% +/- 8% @ 95% confidence

Conditional probability of never having uneven carb, given stirring:
81% +/- 10% @ 95% confidence

Conditional probability of never having uneven carb, given NOT stirring:
81% +/- 12% @ 95% confidence

Still large error ranges with only a handful of "sometimes" responses, but so far, there is no statistical correlation between stirring & uneven carb.
n=100

Yay for science. Ty, this is awesome. Thank you for the statistical analysis.

maybe your problem could be the rest of your process, including your conditioning.

I agree. Mixing is just one possible variable. Other things that might have more impact:

Cold Crashing
ABV
Conditioning temp (a little on the low side, mid/high 60s)

So far I am leaning towards it being probably fine to not mix. Mainly because The poll, and Ty's analysis shows the statistics on it are pretty even. (With a terribly small sample size, as a small caveat)

i have a similar question for you guys. i have better bottles, so if i could just pour in my sugar on top of my beer at bottling time and not stir up the sediment, i could just bottle straight from the carboy's spigot. i would think that pouring the sugar solution on top of the beer and letting it filter down through it would mix it enough? i mean it's sugar for gods sakes, you would think it would have pretty even dispersion after a short time, right?

I would still err on the side of using a secondary, or like I do a Third Carboy and stirring as I transfer, then bottle.

I stir, but thats a combination of a couple factors.

First home brew was very unevenly carbonated, I had 2 bottle bombs, a couple that were basically flat (but were actually pretty tasty in a way). Granted the bombs may have been a gusher infection.

Next I don't transfer to a bottling bucket for bottling, this is purely a factor of space, I may be able to swing a second bucket for bottling, but I would be more likely to start fermenting 2 batches at once instead of transfer to bottling buckets. First batch I poured the priming solution in and just bottled it. I'm sure if I used a bottling bucket I would achieve even carbing, but for now I just give it a quick stir, I already have the starsan solution for my bottles mixed up, so I just throw a long spoon in to sanitize give the beer a quick swirl while pouring in the solution and thats it. It's really no sweat off my back.

Rack onto my priming solution. The only times I had uneven carbing issues was when I used Cooper's carb tabs.

Back