Do you love your truck too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillbrewin

Reaction score
New breaks, it happens. New break lines all the way around on last break job, 17 years of Minnesota salt and snow it's bound to happen. New radio after factory deck goes down, again 17 years can't say I blame it. New tires for a 17 year old truck costing a minimum 700-900 bucks. Hmm? truck might not be worth that much. Between the new tires and a whole new exhaust system I figure it is gonna be 2 grand into this truck in the next 2 months. Starting to worry that good old red might have to go to pasture soon.

Between tires, shocks, new catalytic converters, exhaust, rear brakes, and a partial transmission rebuild, I dumped just shy of $3,000 in my 2001 Silverado in the 18 months before I traded it off on a 2006 Silverado two years ago. Since then, I've spent around $1,500 on new tires, front brakes, and reworking the exhaust - knowing that in all likelihood, 12-18 months from now I'll be selling this truck to buy my dad's (he just got a 2012 Silverado, and tends to trade his in around 75,000 miles. This one's a heck of a nice truck, so I'm going to try swinging buying it off him and trading mine in instead)

Know your pain, buddy.

17 years isn't that bad of a run. I have a 2002 truck right now that I need to do a little work to. After getting the rear spring shackles replaced this week (in order to pass inspection). I plan on keeping it another 2-4 years before trading in for a full size truck (got a Ranger now). I've done the tires twice already (original set didn't last long at all), but nothing too big otherwise. Since it's paid for, I'm more inclined to keep it, and keep it running, than get rid of it. At least until I have enough cabbage to make either really low or zero new truck payments.

I changed the stock radio/head unit in the truck many years ago. I recently changed it again since the replacement was malfunctioning. I now have built-in GPS among other things. :rockin: 6.2" display on it too. I know that's easy to get on NEW trucks, but this is one I installed so it was a lot more affordable.

I tend to keep vehicles around 15 years, or until they need MAJOR work done. Even if I need something significant done, if it's a one time deal, and it will extend the life of the vehicle (and it's in good shape otherwise) I'll do it. I've done enough of those that there's not much left, that's a big cost item.

Besides, my modified Ranger is fun to drive. I got the biggest engine in it when I bought it (4L v6, sure I'd LOVE a v8). I've tweaked it to get more power out of that too. So it more than performs as I wish/demand. IF Ford was still making them, I'd probably get another when it's time. Since they're not, I've not decided (it's too far away to pick now). I do know that there are things I want that rules Ford out. Unless they can provide the features in their trucks at least.

Get a diesel. 180k and she's just broken in. Yeah fuel is higher but I also get 18-20 mpg.
Not really a valid argument when most gas engines are now running between 16-20 mpg on the highway. I routinely run 17+ mpg on the highway

You can ask any of my friends, I've said numerous times, if my daily driver ('02 Accord) blew up tomorrow, I'd probably find myself in a Volkswagen TDI. And if I had a boat or camper big enough to need it, I'd have no problem buying a diesel truck. But buying a diesel truck for the mileage....ain't gonna happen.

Get a diesel. 180k and she's just broken in. Yeah fuel is higher but I also get 18-20 mpg.

The engine in my truck can go 200k without breaking a sweat. 300k is rather common (for people that keep them). I also get 20-24mpg when I'm on the highway more. More local traffic [obviously] brings that lower. Plus the way I drive it doesn't help (got a bit of a lead foot). I have a decent sized engine, that sounds good (Flowmaster :D) and I like to use/hear it. :rockin:

I was just stating that you usually get double the mileage out of a diesel engine than a gasser. I don't see any rigs driving around the country haulin loads that are running gas. When I said just breaking the engine in...I meant it. 18-20MPG for a 2001 3/4 ton 7.3L 4 door truck is pretty damn good if you ask me. If you don't want or need one, good deal. Not looking for a valid argument. Just saw the thread and chimed in how much I love my truck. FOMOCO is the only way to go.;)

I picked up an 86 truck for a steal a while back and was planning to fix the little things and keep it for some years. Mechanic said how much it would cost to make it pass California emission test. Suddenly it feels less like my old dog I'd do anything to save and more like the neighbors cat that I catch spraying in my garden.

I bought an 09 F-150 platinum during the recession sice the dealer (now out of business) was knocking 20% off even before we started negotiations. I'm hoping it will be my last truck until 2030! Then I can buy a fancy flying truck.

I've currently got a 2008 Dodge HEMI 4x4. Bought it for a steal when gas was almost $4.00/gallon and all of the dealers dropped their pants. It was my work truck for the first 2 years I owned it and has done a great job of taking plenty of abuse. So far the only thing I have done to it is tires and oil changes, and put a new diode in the alternator (my dad has an alternator reman business).

Just Thursday night I did brakes all the way around and will be doing shocks, diff, transmission, and transfer case oil changes soon.

I can't complain though. It has almost 120k on the clock and is still going very strong. Best of all it is paid for, and has a lifetime drivetrain warranty. Mileage is ok for a 4x4 truck, 14-16.5 (8-10 towing).

I have parked it for day to day driving and picked up an accord to commute in (60 miles daily) that gets 30-34 mpg just to save on gas and keep the miles off of the truck.

02 f150 bought it two years and only major thing wwrong I've fixed is the hubs on both sides. I'm going to run this truck into the ground. I put in a touch screen navi unit and there's nothing on a new truck that makes me want to get into that price range.

I say you can never spend to much on something you love. If I hadn't gone into the military i would have never gotten rid of my 89 f150.

Punity said:
and there's nothing on a new truck that makes me want to get into that price range.

Amen to that. It amazes me the number if people that are obsessed with buying new. I'm not against it in all cases, but 9 times out if 10 the numbers just don't work.

My current truck is the only exception I have ever made. The only reason I did was that used trucks equipped identically to mine were within 5k of what I paid. I got mine for 23,500 brand new with full warranty, and tons of options. Sticker was 39,000. Bought late in the year with crazy high ( at the time) gas prices and got it for a steal.

autobaun70 said:
Amen to that. It amazes me the number if people that are obsessed with buying new. I'm not against it in all cases, but 9 times out if 10 the numbers just don't work.

My current truck is the only exception I have ever made. The only reason I did was that used trucks equipped identically to mine were within 5k of what I paid. I got mine for 23,500 brand new with full warranty, and tons of options. Sticker was 39,000. Bought late in the year with crazy high ( at the time) gas prices and got it for a steal.

Nice my FIL just got a new GMC for roughly 17k late year mild trade in and some good dealing. If I could swing a deal like that maybe but I just don't see me moving up unless this truck breaks

StainlessBrewing said:
One thing I hate about it is oil changes. Ridiculously expensive even if you do it yourself.

It seems like most things are more expensive. People I know who have diesels spend quite a bit on repairs and maintenance. I know it pays off in the long haul (there's a Dodge in town with a half million miles on it), but there are added costs and depending on where you live you may need fuel heaters etc. I've been researching buying a truck or awhile now, and an still totally up in the air on the diesel vs. gas.

New breaks, it happens. New break lines all the way around on last break job, 17 years of Minnesota salt and snow it's bound to happen. New radio after factory deck goes down, again 17 years can't say I blame it. New tires for a 17 year old truck costing a minimum 700-900 bucks. Hmm? truck might not be worth that much. Between the new tires and a whole new exhaust system I figure it is gonna be 2 grand into this truck in the next 2 months. Starting to worry that good old red might have to go to pasture soon.

Well, you don't have to put new tires on it. Finding some decent used ones can save considerably.

Granted, they're all season highway tread tires, not mud hogs, but I just bought four used tires for my Chevy pickup, still on the factory aluminum wheels, for $100 for all four, and they have about 50-60% tread. Didn't even need to rebalance them. Bolt on, top off the air pressure, and drive.

Even if you put in $2K, as long as there aren't any signs of major impending mechanical failure, I think it's worth it. $2K is like 4 months payments on a new/newer truck. Yours could last years yet.

It seems like most things are more expensive. People I know who have diesels spend quite a bit on repairs and maintenance. I know it pays off in the long haul (there's a Dodge in town with a half million miles on it), but there are added costs and depending on where you live you may need fuel heaters etc. I've been researching buying a truck or awhile now, and an still totally up in the air on the diesel vs. gas.

I don't think buying a diesel is worth it unless you actually need a heavy duty truck.

bottlebomber said:

If you live in cold weather it's definitely a pain. When we go up north in the winter I have to plug it in and let it warm up for a good 10 minutes before going anywhere. Here in the heat though I can let it run all day with the AC running and never have a problem. The only reason I went with this truck is for the longevity and the engine with the truck hold it's value well.

whoaru99 said:
I don't think buying a diesel is worth it unless you actually need a heavy duty truck.

I think that's what it comes down to. If it's not a serious work truck it's not worth it.

StainlessBrewing said:
If you live in cold weather it's definitely a pain. When we go up north in the winter I have to plug it in and let it warm up for a good 10 minutes before going anywhere. Here in the heat though I can let it run all day with the AC running and never have a problem. The only reason I went with this truck is for the longevity and the engine with the truck hold it's value well.

My friend runs bio in his and it's even worse, has a much warmer gel point evidently. He was running through Tahoe with the stuff when he found that out the first time, clogged his filter right proper. He put a plate heater on the fuel tank and it helped a lot, but if he goes somewhere real cold he runs 50/50

It's not serious work truck but it definitely gets used. Free wood for garage shelving and backyard greenhouse. I think it might be time to invest in a trailer.

image-34138512.jpg

bottlebomber said:
My friend runs bio in his and it's even worse, has a much warmer gel point evidently. He was running through Tahoe with the stuff when he found that out the first time, clogged his filter right proper. He put a plate heater on the fuel tank and it helped a lot, but if he goes somewhere real cold he runs 50/50

I would love to learn more how to make my exhaust smell like French fries and chicken! I know a few people that do it and save a ton of money.

StainlessBrewing said:
I would love to learn more how to make my exhaust smell like French fries and chicken! I know a few people that do it and save a ton of money.

Yeah he's been doing it for years. Has a rig in his shop that looks like a slightly large gas station pump. Oil and a couple other things go in, diesel and glycerin come out. He saves a ton of money, this rig payed for itself in about 6 months. And he has a good deal going with a couple stores for free oil.

I ran an older Dodge with the 5.9L 24V engine for a while. Put on the AirDog fuel pump setup, a TST PowerMax fuel box with the boost elbow, and an Edge EZ for timing. She'd run pretty good. Contrary to opinion, I didn't get better fuel mileage with the goodies added because I couldn't keep my foot out of it. Was way more truck than what I needed and it went away. Kept the 1/2 ton ext 4wd gasser instead.

isurf said:
1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 X-cab. 275k still running strong. Before this, 1988 Toyota 4x4 Hi-lux 340k.

That doesn't count its a yota it will never die

StainlessBrewing said:
I was just stating that you usually get double the mileage out of a diesel engine than a gasser. I don't see any rigs driving around the country haulin loads that are running gas. When I said just breaking the engine in...I meant it. 18-20MPG for a 2001 3/4 ton 7.3L 4 door truck is pretty damn good if you ask me. If you don't want or need one, good deal. Not looking for a valid argument. Just saw the thread and chimed in how much I love my truck. FOMOCO is the only way to go.;)

In what world is 18-20 double the mileage of 16-18?????

On heavy trucks, I agree - diesel is the only way to go. For light duty trucks, unless you NEED the diesel, you're better off with gas.

Mines a'96 f250 with airbagged suspension. Have weighed in with almost two tons of scrap steel in the bed and its a gas engine...... a 460 but its gas and nothin slows it down

dkwolf said:
In what world is 18-20 double the mileage of 16-18?????

On heavy trucks, I agree - diesel is the only way to go. For light duty trucks, unless you NEED the diesel, you're better off with gas.

I meant overall mileage on the engine not MPG.

Yep I'd agree with you, If we didn't have to pull a Horse trailer around on a regular basis I probably wouldn't have one. We have on 01' Dodge that's creeping up on 300k, damn thing stills runs pretty good. But when it breaks, you can count on spending some pretty good coin. OTOH they can be pretty fun trucks, they're obnoxiously loud, which I happen to like:D and if you can put some money into them you can get some pretty serious HP out of them.

bottlebomber said:
I think that's what it comes down to. If it's not a serious work truck it's not worth it.

I'd say heavy duty trucks are also a better platform for off roading as well as towing.

You get lower gears and a locker from the factory. Plus a better engine and a heavy duty drivetrain.
If you get a dodge or a ford you'll also get a solid front axle from the factory.

The only thing you'd be fighting is the wheelbase and turning radius. But if you're buying new or can find one used; you can get a single cab and a short box.

I love old 84 fj60. But if I had the money I'd get a new dodge diesel.

Bought my first truck of my life in April 2010. It's a 1998 Ford F-150 with the extended "two-and-a-half door" cab, a full 8' box and a cap. It had just a bit over 80K on it when I bought it. During the past 2 1/2 years, I've had the following done: replaced all four front ball joints and had an alignment; replaced the battery; replaced the starter; replaced one idler arm in the front end; had the bolts that hold the exhaust to the exhaust manifold drilled out and replaced; replaced the transmission cooler lines; completely replaced the front brakes[both calipers and both rotors], along with one brake line and both flex hoses to the calipers; replaced the brake line to the rear brakes. With all that done, I still have to get the universal joints [two] in the driveline replaced. I figure I'll have to drive the truck forever to get my money out of it! But I do like my truck!

glenn514:mug:

DSCN0081.jpg

I'd say heavy duty trucks are also a better platform for off roading as well as towing.

You get lower gears and a locker from the factory. Plus a better engine and a heavy duty drivetrain.
If you get a dodge or a ford you'll also get a solid front axle from the factory.

The only thing you'd be fighting is the wheelbase and turning radius. But if you're buying new or can find one used; you can get a single cab and a short box.

I love old 84 fj60. But if I had the money I'd get a new dodge diesel.
Solid axle for a 4x4 is a must for me. I've worked on so many 4x4 trucks that have cv axles and tie rods (won't say any names) that can't handle the abuse. I frequently go out wheeling here in the desert and my truck has definitely been pushed to it's limits for it's size. I hope this video doesn't open a can of Chevy vs Ford worms but here's a little video I made for my Superduty friends. Pretty dark the whole time but has a good song and brings back memories for us. Don't tell them but I would trade in for a new 4x4 Cummins any day. Love the gears those trucks have.
Bought my first truck of my life in April 2010. It's a 1998 Ford F-150 with the extended "two-and-a-half door" cab, a full 8' box and a cap. It had just a bit over 80K on it when I bought it. During the past 2 1/2 years, I've had the following done: replaced all four front ball joints and had an alignment; replaced the battery; replaced the starter; replaced one idler arm in the front end; had the bolts that hold the exhaust to the exhaust manifold drilled out and replaced; replaced the transmission cooler lines; completely replaced the front brakes[both calipers and both rotors], along with one brake line and both flex hoses to the calipers; replaced the brake line to the rear brakes. With all that done, I still have to get the universal joints [two] in the driveline replaced. I figure I'll have to drive the truck forever to get my money out of it! But I do like my truck!

glenn514:mug:

Those ball joints are notorious on these trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh I am gonna fix my truck.

Just needed to ***** about spending the money lol.

Its a 1996 dodge with the 5.9. extended cab with a 8 foot bed. Never understood the 6 foot bed thing. What fits in those with the wheel wells and all?

I drive a semi and am pretty mechanical. I had to call my buddy up to bring over his flair tool on the last brake job though, we ended up putting in all new break lines. labor cost, 1 case of Summit EPA lol.

I just get pissed off at things like tires and exhaust. I cant make tires and the labor is so minor. When it comes to exhaust I just don't know. maybe I can buy everything stock and do it myself. There is no way I am bending anything though.

I have been nursing along the power steering gearbox for 5 years. Bad seal, but people tell me the seals go bad all the time. So its not worth fixing. AC compressor is also shot, but I live with it.

All told I think I could get red back into shape for 3k. The problem is after that shocks are not too far off , and who knows what will come with that.

This is all assuming that I put this money into it and don't end up needing a motor rebuild, tranny, or rear dif anytime soon.

I got an '84 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 a while back. ( would have liked a 1/2 ton, but for $1,000 what the heck)
I need to put exhaust on her. I may want to put tires on as winter gets more serious.
She runs good and is solid. Needs little stuff. I may rebuild the carb soon. Only gets about 10 MPG but hey, it's paid for, dependable, does the work I ask it to.
Why take on payments rather than just keeping this one in good shape.
I may trade in my trailblazer soon and pick up another Cadillac deville. Nothing like a huge, comfortable, powerful car that you can get 30 MPG out of for road trips!

stillbrewin said:
Yeh I am gonna fix my truck.

Just needed to ***** about spending the money lol.

Its a 1996 dodge with the 5.9. extended cab with a 8 foot bed. Never understood the 6 foot bed thing. What fits in those with the wheel wells and all?

I drive a semi and am pretty mechanical. I had to call my buddy up to bring over his flair tool on the last brake job though, we ended up putting in all new break lines. labor cost, 1 case of Summit EPA lol.

I just get pissed off at things like tires and exhaust. I cant make tires and the labor is so minor. When it comes to exhaust I just don't know. maybe I can buy everything stock and do it myself. There is no way I am bending anything though.

I have been nursing along the power steering gearbox for 5 years. Bad seal, but people tell me the seals go bad all the time. So its not worth fixing. AC compressor is also shot, but I live with it.

All told I think I could get red back into shape for 3k. The problem is after that shocks are not too far off , and who knows what will come with that.

This is all assuming that I put this money into it and don't end up needing a motor rebuild, tranny, or rear dif anytime soon.

Have you checked summitracing.com for exhaust parts? They have a kit I was looking @ with pre-bent sections you just cut and piece it together. It didn't have clamps or hangers just the tubing. I think it was a couple hundred bucks. That would leave you money to lift it and get some 35's.

jammin said:
My dad had. 96' with a 460. That thing was a beast! Fun to shift

Yeah.... only thing you cant do with it is drive past a gas station

Back