Do you have any Whiteboard on your brew lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstiglich

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I already have 6 kegs in my mini brew lab, thus I will start using a whiteboard to record some of the most important facts, besides all the information I have in beer smith. Just because I would like to have some information available and not having to open my beer smith each time I want to record anything.

I would like to know if any of you have been working with this kind of boards, and what are the information you store on the whiteboard?

I was thinking something like>

Beer Name / OG Brix / OG SG / Yeast used / Date into fermenter / Pitching temperature / Fermentation Temperature / Time on primary / Final Gravity / Date into Keg / Clarifying (yes/No) / date start carbonation

Regards,

I just write my info on the recipe printouts from BS.

I am going to have to do something though. I have five kegs, and I have three full atm. After I get my latest batch kegged...it may be hard keeping track. xD

I just write my info on the recipe printouts from BS.

I am going to have to do something though. I have five kegs, and I have three full atm. After I get my latest batch kegged...it may be hard keeping track. xD

I use merchandise tags around the handles of each keg that has the name of the beer & a number that corresponds to the manifold connection. I use hanging white board tags from NorCal Brewing that are okay. The tags themselves are great but they do not wipe down easily or even clean even though I am using appropriate white board markers. On those, I write the beer name and date kegged. I do need to start writing ABV because people do ask.

Sometimes I'll write stuff down on the whiteboard that I don't have time to log in my BeerSmith notes. For example if I take a gravity reading and I'm on the run to do something else, or if I do some impromptu cider recipe. It's just easier for me to quickly jot stuff down and erase stuff if I make changes. As a personal preference I wouldn't put lines or per-designated categories on it. One of the advantages of a whiteboard is its flexibility.

Hi guys,
I already have 6 kegs in my mini brew lab, thus I will start using a whiteboard to record some of the most important facts, besides all the information I have in beer smith. Just because I would like to have some information available and not having to open my beer smith each time I want to record anything.

I would like to know if any of you have been working with this kind of boards, and what are the information you store on the whiteboard?

Beer Name / OG Brix / OG SG / Yeast used / Date into fermenter / Pitching temperature / Fermentation Temperature / Time on primary / Final Gravity / Date into Keg / Clarifying (yes/No) / date start carbonation

Regards,

I have a white board and store only the essentials (ABV, IBU, beer name, what letter the cap is marked with, and beer style. No one who visits my house cares about the OG/FG, temps or yeast. All of that stuff is in a binder where I print-out and keep my recipes.

Actually, I think I will be likely to have any board to write down all the information during the fermentation/carbonation process, to avoid opening and updating beer smith all time.
It is not information for my friends or someone else, It is just a tool to help me keep all information for each keg in a easy way.
The main reason to do it is because sometimes, I did some changes to any carboy or keg, and could not update beer smith at the same time, therefore there is a risk that some measures would be lost or written wrong on a later time.

Additionally, I would be likely to have a standard format, to ensure that I am keeping at least the same information for all kegs.... but I also want to have a flexible format to let me add some important information.

For example, I have found some off-flavors or odors that disappear over time, but I did not wrote down them because I thought they will never disappear... thus I would like to write down any odor, taste, turb or any other important fact on each batch.

I record everything on paper, usually my brew day sheets, and eventually try to get it into beer smith, or into a spreadsheet on my computer. My problem with white boards is that they are too easy to erase. I don't want important info being accidentally erased...

Regards,

I keep data like that on a spreadsheet. I find BeerSmith to be one of the most non-user friendly, and over-rated programs I've ever dealt with.

Latest posts

Back