Do you have a good American Wheat Beer recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never brewed one before, but I do remember drinking and enjoying Ithaca Beer Company's Apricot Wheat beer when I lived in NY. I'm planning on brewing one over the weekend and haven't settled on a recipe yet, but this is something I've been playing around with in Beersmith and am considering. My goal is to make this a real easy drinking apricot wheat that will entice even the BMC crowd. Just looking for feedback and/or suggestions for your go-to wheat beer recipe.

BIAB 5.5 - 6 gallons into the fermenter.
60% White Wheat Malt
36% 2-row
4% Carapils

Centennial and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (two hops I already have from previous brews).

Because of summer temperatures and my keezer/fermentation chamber not yet ready I'm going to ferment with Lutra Kveik.

Apex Apricot flavoring - Apricot Flavor for Beer Wine and Spirits - TTB Approved - Apex Flavors I've used other Apex flavorings and they have always been excellent for me.

Shooting for:
ABV ~5.5%
SRM ~4
IBUs ~20-25-ish

That looks good, I would use pale ale malt instead of 2 row ( I buy 50 lb sacks of pils , pale ale , white wheat malt). Love the Lutra , going to do the same. As for the flavoring , I've always got a peach flavor when using apricot in a wheat beer.
I have a 25 gal lambic barrel that we take 3-5 gal carboys with fruit, the next rotation will be cherry, raspberry and apricot.

If you want one with herbal flavors, I have made this Chamomile Wheat many times and always love it to the last drop from the tap.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/honey-chamomile-wheat-what-a-way-to-end-a-long-day.191443/
1625142124394.png

That looks good, I would use pale ale malt instead of 2 row ( I buy 50 lb sacks of pils , pale ale , white wheat malt). Love the Lutra , going to do the same. As for the flavoring , I've always got a peach flavor when using apricot in a wheat beer.
Seems my LHBS doesn’t carry pale malt. Other options instead of 2-row are 6-row, Maris Otter, Belgian Pale, Belgian Pilsner, or German Pilsner.

If you want one with herbal flavors, I have made this Chamomile Wheat many times and always love it to the last drop from the tap.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/honey-chamomile-wheat-what-a-way-to-end-a-long-day.191443/
View attachment 734079
Coincidentally I’m currently enjoying a locally brewed Belgian style Witbier with Chamomile.
I may be interested in your suggestion some time down the road, but not this time. Where would one find chamomile anyway?

47EB99EF-C137-4D0C-A233-28F27A81FB48.jpeg

60% White Wheat Malt
36% 2-row
4% Carapils

I have a lutra cake in my fermenter and it's summer so....
was thinking of 10 gallons of wheat beer with Columbus at 60 with one keg getting a lemon peel tea and the other getting a secondary with 3 lbs of pineapple.

Briess Bavarian wheat dme
Galaxy and cascade hops
us-05

Some day I want to clone the wheat Sierra Nevada used to make (the unfiltered one similar to crystal wheat).

I think Waynes Blue Moon recipe is great! Here it is below. I have no doubt you could add some apricot and make this a stellar apricot brew but it's also great by itself. This one went fast and the wife loved it too. Of course adjust in Beer Smith to your equipment and tastes. I would also recommend a half pound of rice hulls as well that I have included in the recipe. Brew on!

Blue Moon Clone.jpg

Also note my water quantities on this recipe assume 1 gallon of dead space in the mash tun.

Last edited:
Back