Do you add pure O2 after every degas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
Working on my first mead.
OG 1.105
It is a 5 gallon batch
2 packets S-05

Doing SNA and degassing once per day with a three prong wine whip on a drill. I am really going to town with the degassing. Yesterday it nearly foamed over the top of my 6.5 gallon bucket.

I also shot it with pure o2 after the degassing. I figured, this is DEgassing, and O2 is a gas.

On the other hand, some brewers aerate with a similar drill-whip, so maybe it is both introducing oxygen and driving off CO2.

I'm wondering if you all add pure O2 after every degassing.

Also, when I hit 50% sugar break, which I understand to be when the gravity is around 1.050 in my case, should I stop degassing? I assume I should stop with the pure O2 at that point if not before.

The point of stirring/agitation before the 1/3rd sugar break isnt de-gassing.

Its aeration. To get some of the old O2 in there for yeast development.

if you have the kit for pure O2 there's no reason to stir or agitate it.

A side effect of stirring for aeration is that the movement will nucleate out the carbonic acid as gaseous CO2.

Degassing is the function of the stirring/rolling/vacuum or however you find best method done at the end of the making. It can help clear a cloudy batch in some cases......

The point of stirring/agitation before the 1/3rd sugar break isnt de-gassing.

Its aeration. To get some of the old O2 in there for yeast development.

if you have the kit for pure O2 there's no reason to stir or agitate it.

A side effect of stirring for aeration is that the movement will nucleate out the carbonic acid as gaseous CO2.

Degassing is the function of the stirring/rolling/vacuum or however you find best method done at the end of the making. It can help clear a cloudy batch in some cases......
Got it! Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like i've just been in overkill mode. I'll probably just do the stirring now, since I have to pay for O2.

Degassing is good at the beginning as well - as it keeps the pH from getting too low.

Degassing is good at the beginning as well - as it keeps the pH from getting too low.
I'm whpiping it around daily, whether to add o2 or degas I don't know, but I stir it for 5-10 minutes at least. I stopped adding the pure o2.

The ferment seems healthy. I added 3/4 tsp nutrients on day one, day two, and day four. OG was 1.105 and current gravity is around 1.090. Fermentation temperature is just under 65

I think that nutrient addition is a bit over board. You could have spread that out over 2 weeks, not 4 days.

Think about fertilizing a plant - you do it once a month maximum. Too much of a good thing can be bad. In yeast they can't possibly consume that much nutrient that fast, so it just sits there. This allows other microbes to utilize it and can perhaps compete with the yeast then.

At any rate, it would be nice if we all had micro-injectors that automatically sensed nutrient levels and added just the right amount at specific time points :) what we all do is just guess work..

Latest posts

Back