Do upright freezers with all removable shelves exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So been looking on Craigslist for a good upright freezer.

I'd rather get a upright for my fermentation chamber so i can store two 8 gallon buckets, instead of another Chest freezer(which i have for my kegs). Mostly because of the lack of space in my garage. I'd rather not have to get another 7+ cuFt chest freezer to take up so much space, not to mention taking 5 gallons of beer in and out of a chest freezer sounds like a pain. I can do it for kegs but its not fun :)

I don't think so most of the time the shelves arr part of the cooling I know mine is you might be able to nend one of the shelves down

You need a self defrosting upright freezer, then the shelves are not the cooling tubes AFAIK, they are not a popular so might be hard to find. Why not use a self defrosting fridge? I used chest freezers for a few years, and recently switched to a fridge on top refrigerator...it is big and takes up space, but the self defrost is nice in that it stays much drier and cleaner than a chest keezer.

I guess it depends on the fridge, but I wasnt under the impression that most fridges could get to 35ish or so.

If i get something i want to make sure its something i can lager in as well.

If i get something i want to make sure its something i can lager in as well.

Oh ok...thats a horse of a different color, yes I agree, I don't think most fridges will get that chilly.

Some of the guys here have had success taking an upright freezer and bending a shelf or two, I'm not quite sure.

Basicly you need to carefully bend the self back against the rear wall of the freezer. It can certainly be done, but if you break a coolant line, you have a boat anchor...

Slow and steady is the key AFAIK.

Not really sure, but another option might be tweaking the thermostat in a regular fridge to make it run colder. I think it is doable but outside my skillset.

I dont understand why chest freezers and regular freezers are built so differently..why dont they just run the coolant lines in the walls of the freezer like they do for chest freezers...argh...

I dont understand why chest freezers and regular freezers are built so differently..why dont they just run the coolant lines in the walls of the freezer like they do for chest freezers...argh...

Non frost free is more economical to build and more energy efficient with the coil type shelves.

Latest posts

Back