Do Some Hops Prefer Less Sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at BigHops (guy at this sites) this weekend digging up hop plants he no longer wanted. He mentioned that his Sunbeam did better in the shade or at least without a huge amounts of sun.

It got me thinking about my own plants. I put them in the ground lowest alpha to highest. The left side of yard gets the least amount of sun and the right side of my yard gets the most amount of sun.

It might be better if I shuffle some of my plants around to work the sun to their advantage. That is give the ones that want a lot of sun- a lot of sun, and keep the ones that prefer indirect light- out of the sun.

I'm crazy, so I've got a lot of plants. Some of these I'm going to move off property, but have access to. I'm curious if anyone can tell which prefer direct light and which do better with less sun.

Thank you,

Here's what I'm growing:
Hallertau
Golding
Tettnang
Glacier
Horizon
Cascade (2nd year, a 3rd year, a 4th year)
Fuggle
Willamette (2nd year and 4th year)
Centenial
Pride of Ringwood
Newport
Nugget (4th year)
Magnum
Zeus (2nd year) and Columbus (4th year)
Mt Hood (3rd year)
Sterling (3rd year)
Chinook (3rd year)

How do you keep up with that many plants?!! I have 4 and it's a lot of work. Do you harvest all the hops or just pick what you need for the year and let the rest go?

As far as the sun thing goes......I give all mine full sun and they do good.

Most all hops like full sun but some perform better in different climates. This site may help: http://rnventerprises.com/services.html . The Sunbeam came out of a Tettnang breeding program in Oregon and was discarded due to poor production, but I guess it was kept due to it's pale color and is now sold as an ornamental variety. Maybe the pale color trait allows it to grow better in a lower light environment?

Well, If you're growing the hops to brew with not for ornamental purposes, I would think that full sun, higher yielding plants would be more desirable? After all, the more sunlight a plant can utilize the faster it can grow and the more crop it could produce?....my thoughts anyway

Sorry, not trying to get you off topic. I really woudn't know where to start on how to tell the difference between a plant that wants more sun vs one that don't.

Back