Do smaller batches sour faster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploppythesausage

Reaction score
As it says above, do smaller batches (say a gallon or two) sour quicker (less wort to sour, less the bugs need to multiply so the quicker it sours)?

Given that most sour beers seem to be blended, this may be a way to make a Rodenbach type beer with a fairly sour beer mixed with young beer.

For example if a gallon soured a lot quicker than 5 gallons, blending this back into young beer could be a potentially quicker way to make a relatively tart beer such as a standard Rodenbach. It would probably continue to sour/ferment in the bottle too so they'd need to be sturdy if aged and kept at a fairly low and constant temp.

Any thoughts?

I've just started doing smaller batches this winter- but so far, in my experience, some do. but i'm not really sure of what it's a result of. i think there is a lot more to sour beer than just the pH, though- there has to be a pretty balanced product to end up with something that is complex, sour and drinkable- not just overwhelmingly acidic. I have made sour beers that i like, and that i drink - but i haven't made rodenbach, and my 80 dollar bar- tab every friday is a stark reminder of that on saturday morning when i clean my pockets...

Back