Do I really need a thermometer on my BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatman

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 10 gallon all grain system. I have two kegs and a cooler I will use as the mash tun. The keg that will become the HLT has a sight glass and thermometer. I'm about to buy the fittings for the BK and wondering why I'd need a thermometer on that vessel since it's just for boiling.

What are your thoughts?

Are you going to cool in the boil kettle? Come to think of it, I don' have one on mine and just take a reading with a probe while chilling. I think the reason I didn't put one in is because I was worried about it getting banged around by the IC.

Well, it's awfully handy to have a sight glass installed on the BK, and if you're going to do that, it's not much more expensive to have a sight glass / thermometer combo installed.

It's nice to know how close you're getting to boiling. But is it crucial? No.

I'll be using a counter flow chiller to cool. Already have the sight glass given to me by a friend. I guess I could always get a thermometer later if I feel I need it.

Back