Do I quit or suck it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay your bills. You're a good man for staying in the job to do that. That's part of the problem with the country, it seems like many think they can lay their debt on others and it's apparently quite acceptable... Before everyone jumps on the opportunity to criticize that statement, I realize there are opposite sides of the argument, and they include such things as "the loan company charges interest partly to cover loss", and "the government in many (actually I'm thinking it is ALL) loans (EDIT: student loans) guarantees the loan". So you default, we at HBT get to pay a portion if you default. Thanks. $1000 a month isn't something that you can easily pay despite the job. If it was a smaller amount, well you'd have a little leeway. And the rest of us borrowing money get to pay a higher interest rate for the defaulters... also thanks. Life is hard, life is a journey.

Also, "lazy government workers"? Right. If it weren't for the GOP shoving outsourcing down our throats (yes I work for the government), we'd get a hell of a lot more done with the tax payers money. It'd also be nice if they'd pass a friggin budget before the fiscal year is halfway done.

EDIT: figured I'd clarity the outsourcing comment, for all your reading pleasure, who do you think the profits go to when a job that has been done, and can be done, by a government worker goes to a private company? Maybe the CEO, stakeholders, or stockholders perhaps? So who did the profits go to when it was done by the government worker? ... and before you say "government workers are lazier"... really? that's the argument?

I say suck it up long enough to pay off your debt & save a relocation fund; then start looking for something you like in an area you think you'll like. Regards, GF.

i am surprised govt contract doesnt have some sort of bailout for student loans. it wouldnt seem surprising if they did.

this is a good warning to college kids or those going to college. think really hard about whether the $100-200K party is worth it, and if you can really make a living out of your degree. i think for undergrad degrees,it makes little difference where you go, so find a state school or somewhere cheap... then get a job that will pay towards the grad degree if thats what you need/want.

an entire generation seems to be coming out of school and entering the workforce with a gigantic debt monkey on their back... immediately putting them in a bad situation. worst idea ever. save up and pay your way in cash... not only will it cost you less in the long run, because you have skin in the game, you will be more serious about it and more critical, in a healthy way, about what youre getting out of it.

I'm a rare breed in that I really didn't party in college and I didn't pick a college because of its name but I did happen to pick a private one and that's my problem. I'm definitely lucky enough to be able to afford all of my student loan payments and other expenses but am left with very little once all is said and done. I definitely think high school juniors/seniors need more education on college loans and the potential debt they face after college. I was a stubborn kid and wanted to do what I wanted to do and now I'm stuck in this situation.

Government Contracting doesn't have student loan forgiveness but the federal government does after a certain amount of years of service. The best we have tuition assistance for grad school, at least at my company.

Pay your bills. You're a good man for staying in the job to do that. That's part of the problem with the country, it seems like many think they can lay their debt on others and it's apparently quite acceptable... Before everyone jumps on the opportunity to criticize that statement, I realize there are opposite sides of the argument, and they include such things as "the loan company charges interest partly to cover loss", and "the government in many (actually I'm thinking it is ALL) loans (EDIT: student loans) guarantees the loan". So you default, we at HBT get to pay a portion if you default. Thanks. $1000 a month isn't something that you can easily pay despite the job. If it was a smaller amount, well you'd have a little leeway. And the rest of us borrowing money get to pay a higher interest rate for the defaulters... also thanks. Life is hard, life is a journey.

Also, "lazy government workers"? Right. If it weren't for the GOP shoving outsourcing down our throats (yes I work for the government), we'd get a hell of a lot more done with the tax payers money. It'd also be nice if they'd pass a friggin budget before the fiscal year is halfway done.

Well, first I apology for using the word lazy. I honestly did not mean to offend you or anyone. The government workers are more or less overworked which is why they hire contractors. With that being said, though, they definitely spend WAY too much money on people like me. Right now the Dept. of Energy is paying well over $100K for my entry level services when they could hire a federal employee at $50-60K a year and save a lot of money.

You are definitely right about me paying my bills. I take accountability for what I've done and I don't to pass that off to someone else. When I got the loans I was young and needed a co-signer so should I stop paying these loans, the companies will go right after my mom's assets and I don't want that hanging over my head.

I say suck it up long enough to pay off your debt & save a relocation fund; then start looking for something you like in an area you think you'll like. Regards, GF.

It slowly looks like that is what I'll be doing. I can save for another 3-5 years and still be young enough to really make a giant life change while also having paid off more of my loans. It may be tough staying in this role that long but I am a pretty patient guy and there's always a chance I could find a better job within that time

You say you not happy now. Why not start fixing that problem while you work out the debt and job thing. You may not be able to change everything that you don't like right now, but maybe honestly seeking good friends, hobbies, entertainment would go a long way towards helping get by while you work on the job and loans problem.

Perhaps a nearby homebrewing club, or darts league or something... I don't know what you like and how social you are. But there has to be some things that would make the time pass easier.

You say you not happy now. Why not start fixing that problem while you work out the debt and job thing. You may not be able to change everything that you don't like right now, but maybe honestly seeking good friends, hobbies, entertainment would go a long way towards helping get by while you work on the job and loans problem.

Perhaps a nearby homebrewing club, or darts league or something... I don't know what you like and how social you are. But there has to be some things that would make the time pass easier.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I'll continue working and saving and if in a few years I'm still in the same job, that's when I'll move on. I mean, I'll continue looking for better positions now but if nothing comes about, at least I'll have saved and paid off some more debt.

In a very ironic twist of fate yesterday evening, not only did my band secure a couple of shows but I got word that I have a new beer tasting to conduct coming up (I work PT for Ommegang). I think as long as I have things to look forward to, it makes work that much more bearable!

Well, first I apology for using the word lazy. I honestly did not mean to offend you or anyone.

Hey I'm sorry also for jumping on that little statement; I just hear those types of things so much these days and those generalizations really irk me, obviously. It seems like the more things like that are said the more it becomes accepted as truth, despite how quite wrong it is.

I'm a govt contractor in the DC area too and can attest the work blows although it's much better than the alernative. I think government and contractor employment is like the mob, once you're in you can't get out. It's amazing that the skills required on the government that don't translate to the private sector.

This being said, you need to find out what work you like and want to do, then look for those type of contracting opportunities to build out your resume.

I'm a rare breed in that I really didn't party in college and I didn't pick a college because of its name but I did happen to pick a private one and that's my problem. I'm definitely lucky enough to be able to afford all of my student loan payments and other expenses but am left with very little once all is said and done. I definitely think high school juniors/seniors need more education on college loans and the potential debt they face after college. I was a stubborn kid and wanted to do what I wanted to do and now I'm stuck in this situation.

Sounds like you could do some high school or big brother counseling. Opposite of now:
No pay, very rewarding

P.S. finding satisfation in a different area of your life while keeping your current job.

I'm a govt contractor in the DC area too and can attest the work blows although it's much better than the alernative. I think government and contractor employment is like the mob, once you're in you can't get out. It's amazing that the skills required on the government that don't translate to the private sector.

This being said, you need to find out what work you like and want to do, then look for those type of contracting opportunities to build out your resume.

I'm glad someone feels my pain! I do have a feeling you're right though. I feel like there is no escape from the contracting world. Everyone I know who's in the business usually doesn't leave. If they leave their company, it's just to go to a different contractor.

I do know I enjoy meeting/event planning and marketing work so I guess it's just a matter of finding those opportunities and working towards them.

Sounds like you could do some high school or big brother counseling. Opposite of now:
No pay, very rewarding

P.S. finding satisfation in a different area of your life while keeping your current job.

Yeah, I've definitely thought more about that recently. I definitely want to check in to maybe some educational non-profits or something to see if I can volunteer and let students know of the potential dangers of student loans.

I've been doing more and more things to take my mind off of work. Focusing on brewing and my band seem to be the best things I can do until I find something to make my overall life better. Plus, I've been trying to find better job opportunities which has taken a lot of my time and has gotten me excited for what may come in the future!

Do I quit? Do I suck it up and just live an unhappy, lonely life?

It's the only life you get man. You don't owe anyone anything so do what makes you happy. They print more money everyday and I would rather work a job I enjoy for less than be miserable. My 2 cents, but I don't think spending the best years of your life miserable sounds like a good plan.

It depends on what you want to do. Would you be happier somewhere else -- geographically -- even if your financial situation is worse? Would you be happier in DC but doing a different job?

In other words, what are YOUR goals?

If you would be happier somewhere else regardless of the financial situation, then you should move as quickly as you can and find an entry level job, maybe two jobs, and get out of there. If you would be happier where you are but in a different role, then you need to continue looking for a new job but also spend your free time networking, making new friends, enjoying the environment.

If you need both a different environment and the cash then you're going to have to work a lot harder. You will likely need to look at deferring moving away while you build up more qualifications (advanced degrees, certifications in your field, membership in social/business groups in that field, etc.) so that you can get a job easier.

You are going to have a hard time in your current situation. You are clearly overqualified for many entry level positions and seemingly underqualified for the positions you want. Right now there is 10% of the country (30 million people) actively looking for work and probably a larger number looking to move up. There's a lot of competition. Right now you do have a job paying the bills and time to carefully consider your position. If you make a move in any direction, will you be more miserable with the stress of trying to eat/pay bills/have a social life if all the pieces don't work right?

It sounds like you really need to figure out for yourself what is most important to you and what steps will get you there. Nobody else can answer that for you.

Say your making good money, then suck it up and throw every damn penny at your debt till it hurts and I mean hurts.

Double or triple or more your monthly payment, watch every penny coming -n- out and if your reallly making good money within a short amount of time your debt will be fading fast.

Gotta get the monkey off your back.

Do I quit? Do I suck it up and just live an unhappy, lonely life?

It's the only life you get man. You don't owe anyone anything so do what makes you happy. They print more money everyday and I would rather work a job I enjoy for less than be miserable. My 2 cents, but I don't think spending the best years of your life miserable sounds like a good plan.

I definitely agree and I've been trying to find work that will make me happy despite a potential cut in pay. If I have to call my student loan companies to negotiate a lower payment than so be it but I'm definitely ready to be happy! Of course, taking a cut in pay is not desirable but you're right that it's the only life that I get and shouldn't get stuck in a never ending rut. I'm definitely doing what I can to change things!

It depends on what you want to do. Would you be happier somewhere else -- geographically -- even if your financial situation is worse? Would you be happier in DC but doing a different job?

That's a really good point you make and I definitely think I can be happy in DC if I had a different job. I also think I can be happy elsewhere. I've been applying for new positions here, as well as, Las Vegas and Long Island/NYC where I have relatives I could at least stay with while getting my feet on the ground should I relocate.

I would definitely have to say the unhappiness comes more from the job than location so I thank you for making me realize that!

Say your making good money, then suck it up and throw every damn penny at your debt till it hurts and I mean hurts.

Double or triple or more your monthly payment, watch every penny coming -n- out and if your reallly making good money within a short amount of time your debt will be fading fast.

Gotta get the monkey off your back.

Well, I do make good money for someone my age but with that being said, I only make enough to really afford all of my expenses (including student loans). I very rarely go out to bars, out to eat, etc. I'm really trying to focus 2011 on saving while also paying down debt so that hopefully in a few years I won't feel as constricted as I do now and can have more freedom to make the life moves I desire!

write an ebook and make some money online. Sounds like you have very specific knowledge in a narrow field which is awesome for an ebook. Just a thought. I personally want a life of freedom, not being a slave to a job and working away the best years of my life because it's what I'm "supposed" to do.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain-

Back