do i need bottle fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olayak

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about bottle pasteurization. But do I really need to do it? I don't have room in the fridge to cold crash many bottles.
Here's what I was thinking - the yeast should consume all the sugars, right? Then when I add priming sugar before bottling it will consume the left over yeast to make carbonation. And then it will just age in the bottle, right? If I don't have room to refrigerate do I need to bottle pasteurize?
thanks

Nope.. don't need to pasteurize.. As long as you are sure.. as with beer fermentation that the gravity is stable you can put the proper amount of dextrose in a bottling bucket and bottle. If it's not completely fermented as far as it will go and you add sugar to carbonate.. you MIGHT be in for bottle bombs. A hydrometer is your friend.

Then when I add priming sugar before bottling it will consume the left over yeast to make carbonation.
You said it right the first time.. the yeast consumes the sugars.. not sugar consuming the left over yeast.. You did a brain fart :D

Take gravity readings for a few days to make sure fermentation has stopped, it should be close to 1.000. Than add just enough sugar to carbonate, about an ounce per gallon. This will make a bone dry carbonated cider.

Nope.. don't need to pasteurize.. As long as you are sure.. as with beer fermentation that the gravity is stable you can put the proper amount of dextrose in a bottling bucket and bottle. If it's not completely fermented as far as it will go and you add sugar to carbonate.. you MIGHT be in for bottle bombs. A hydrometer is your friend.

You said it right the first time.. the yeast consumes the sugars.. not sugar consuming the left over yeast.. You did a brain fart :D

ha! total brain fart! duh!
thanks guys!

Back