Do i need a tertiary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8dannyB2

Reaction score
For my next brew I'm looking to do a chocolate vanilla coffee stout. My goal is to have a brew that is very chocolate foward with hints of vanilla and subtle hints of coffee.
My original plan is to add bourbon soaked vanilla beans and French oak chips to secondary as well as cold brewed coffee(2oz) and cocoa nibs and letting it all age for at least 4 months.
My concern is will aging for that long diminish or intensify any of those flavors more than I want to. Should I think about a third ferrntation and splitting up the additions in the two? If so, in what sequence to optimize the flavors? Also should I worry about the cocoa nibs making te beer more bitter than I'm looking for? Any input is appreciated.

Cheers!

Sounds like a great brew coming to fruition man! Since you're planing on aging this beer first least 4 months, I would recommend just throwing everything in secondary and bottling when you feel the taste is what you want. I would also suggest skipping on the chips and using cubes instead as they add better flavor, complexity over time, and are easier to manage the level of oak unlike chips which can easily over oak your brew in a short amount time often leaving a blah woody flavor (simply in my opinion from using them).

If you decide to go the oak cubes route, soak them in whatever bourbon you want for a minimum of 4 weeks to let the alcohol properly infuse into the oak. When you go to add them to secondary, make sure to discard the bourbon and only add the cubes (the bourbon will have some harsh tannic tastes from stripping the oak). For the vanilla beans and cocoa nibs, let them soak in vodka and discard the vodka just like with the cubes. As long as you're not using the nibs in boil, you won't have to worry about added bitterness from them. As for the coffee, I think you're spot on with the amount you're looking for. Remember you can always add more so make sure you're a bit more in the conservative side.

Let your taste buds be your guide to when it's ready to bottle. I'd recommend letting the flavors be almost too much before bottling as they will eventually start to fade and blend with the beer while in the bottle. Give this one some time and you'll be stoked what you have months down the road. Good luck dude!

Thanks Buck for the advice. I'll definitely use the oak cubes instead of the chips. I'm really looking forward to making this one and can't wait to finally taste it. I'm not doing the nibs in the boil. Was thinking of just roasting them in the oven for a bit before their addition to secondary. But I am going to add cocoa powder at the end of my boil. Like I said I'm hoping this will be a chocolate forward brew with nice complimentary flavors. I was also thinking of waiting until a few weeks before I'm ready to keg to add the vanilla beans considering that typically it'll be the first to fade. So I'm hoping I'm I do that, the vanilla will be more present.

8dannyB2 said:
Thanks Buck for the advice. I'll definitely use the oak cubes instead of the chips. I'm really looking forward to making this one and can't wait to finally taste it. I'm not doing the nibs in the boil. Was thinking of just roasting them in the oven for a bit before their addition to secondary. But I am going to add cocoa powder at the end of my boil. Like I said I'm hoping this will be a chocolate forward brew with nice complimentary flavors. I was also thinking of waiting until a few weeks before I'm ready to keg to add the vanilla beans considering that typically it'll be the first to fade. So I'm hoping I'm I do that, the vanilla will be more present.

Anytime man! If you ever need other advice, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've never used cocoa powder in the boil, but from what I've read, it seems the consensus would be to do what you're already planning. You can also get a nice chocolate vibe using a mix of crystal and chocolate malts in your grain bill (if you're doing all grain) to help with complexity. Best of luck!

I did the chocolate stout kit. Came out very well blended. I used 4 cups strong brewed coffee at flame out.

I let in the secondary 2 months. Came out great. My best beer I ever made.

Unless there is a lot of lees, there is no reason to risk infection the very tiny bit of lees in my bottles tasted like chocolate covered expresso beans.

Good deal Matt. Chocolate covered espresso beans, that sounds awesome dude!

BuckSwope said:
You can also get a nice chocolate vibe using a mix of crystal and chocolate malts in your grain bill (if you're doing all grain) to help with complexity. Best of luck!

Buck I'm still a total newbie at brewing, so as of now I'm doing extract brewing. But I do have so crystal(caramel) and chocolate malts in my steeping grains. I did think about doing a mini mash for this one but still a little timid just yet. I do eventually want to branch off to mini mash and then maybe all grain eventually though. Just want to get a few brews under my belt first.

Back