do i need a starter?--1.066 O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
I wanted to brew a rye ipa with an og of 1.066 on Sunday but I haven't made it to ahs yet, was planning on going Saturday am. I'd thought about making the starter tomorrow & pitching the entire thing in Sunday evening but I wasn't sure if I'd actually be accomplishing anything with letting the yeast go for only 24hrs.

or, I could just pick something with lower og and just pitch the vial.

thoughts? sorry, crazy week, I know this isn't the ideal preparation.

Do you "need" one, maybe not but I absolutely think you should. In 24 hrs it should be fermented out, although I prefer making them about 48 hr in advance so I can chill and decant.

Wyeast and White Labs say on their packaging that you don't need a starter for wort up to 1.060. So based on that, you are pretty borderline.

Keep in mind that their statement assumes fresh yeast. It loses viability pretty quickly. If your homebrew store has really good turnover, it will probably be fine. If not, it really does need a starter to be ideal.

Honestly you don't need any more than 24 hours on a yeast starter. If you have the time I would most definitely do it.

I'd go ahead and make a starter. 24 hours is more than enough time to make one. I'm brewing a 1.065 Strawberry Wit tomorrow, started the starter this morning and have already stepped it twice... Whatever you do with the starter, you'll have more yeast than what you started with... Have fun

Like Chickypad already said above, you could use just one vial and you will make good beer, but a lot of people these days will tell you you should make a 2 liter starter with one vial in it to double the yeast count. If you are adding the whole starter then add it around 18-24 hrs later. This may help you determine the timing:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go ahead and make a starter. 24 hours is more than enough time to make one. I'm brewing a 1.065 Strawberry Wit tomorrow, started the starter this morning and have already stepped it twice... Whatever you do with the starter, you'll have more yeast than what you started with... Have fun

how could you have had time to do two steps in less than 12 hours? :confused: Explain?

Latest posts

Back