Do Betterbottles retain any smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sDriver

Reaction score
Picked up a couple better bottles. Had a previous attempt at some unknown brew that has been aging for an undetermined amount of time, could be a couple of years. There was no mold or anything funky looking on the liquid, no sediment or scrapes. I have them soaking with oxiclean now. Just wondering what to expect as to any lingering odor from long term storage of brew? I ferment in the white buckets and can slightly smell something. Never had Better Bottles before.

I only use Better Bottles and have not noticed any lingering smells. But then again I don't stick my nose in the neck and whiff. Just out of curiosity, I just went and checked mine. No smells but they do get cleaned within a day after use. I have had beers and wines in them for up to almost a year.

I only use Better Bottles and have not noticed any lingering smells. But then again I don't stick my nose in the neck and whiff. Just out of curiosity, I just went and checked mine. No smells but they do get cleaned within a day after use. I have had beers and wines in them for up to almost a year.
Thanks. I will let then soak over night and check. Was thinking of storing water in one and was wondering how that would turn out. I couldn't beat the price or lack thereof so a scoop of oxiclean is my only cost worse case.

Thanks again

I have two Better Bottles that I’ve been using since I started brewing almost 8 years ago. Both still look like new when they're clean and I clean them as soon as I rack a batch to the keg. No stains, funny odors or off flavors. They just work. It's nice having transparent fermenters to keep track of fermentation visually.

Since these BBs were purchased used, I would also recommend using about a cup of double strength dilution of iodophor to check for internal scratches. Pour the iodophor into the carboy, cap it and turn it so that all sides get coated. Now place the carboy where the lighting is good and take a good look at the sides. If there are scratches on the inside, the iodophor will bead up on them and make them visible. It beats thinking that you have them cleaned only to get an infection due to a scratch harboring bacteria.

I'm currently living in a school bus (check out the Last Drop column in the July/Aug Zymurgy) with no running water. I use a better bottle to bring water to the bus as needed. I used to use it for fermenting and detect no smell of taste of wort or beer.

Back