Do any online vendors mill grain at a .025" gap??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brew life moves very slowly (the rest of my life is in the way, lol) but I'm getting ready to brew soon on my new ss 1V eBIAB setup. I was poking around online and saw some allow for the option of a double crush, but none allow specific mill gap setting options.
thanks, all :)

I think online vendors tend to crush on the coarse side, as they may assume many of their customers do traditional AG. You could request the double-crush option and see how that works out for brew efficiency. If it doesn't turn out how you want it, the next logical step is to get a mill. Even with the cheap Corona you are controlling the crush and milling it the way you want.

I'm aware of buying my own mill as an option and am actually keeping an eye out for the new ss brewtech mill. Was just hoping I could put everything in a cart from one vendor and get what i want without hassle.

Nowhere near 0.025". Closer to double that @ 0.045" is more common.
Some smaller shops will crush 2x, if you ask. Larger outfits... ???

I’m trying to imagine what features SS Brewtech is going to include in their fancy and $$ stainless mill that will make it worth purchasing over a < $100 Cereal Killer. Crushing grain seems like a problem that’s been solved already, so I’m genuinely curious what features it could possibly have.

I’m trying to imagine what features SS Brewtech is going to include in their fancy and $$ stainless mill that will make it worth purchasing over a < $100 Cereal Killer. Crushing grain seems like a problem that’s been solved already, so I’m genuinely curious what features it could possibly have.
included internal motor. I'm sure it'll be specd to high quality. AND the asthetic quality that many here do not appreciate

Would you be willing to pay for this type of personalized service?
Adjusting and setting a mill can take some time and skilled labor....
Say $20-$30 up charge?
Likely much cheaper to add another pound to the grain bill....

A lot of jive talk in this thread. We have a highly adjustable mill with indexed markings for false bottoms (normal crush) and for BIAB. No, we do not double crush because we don't need to. The BIAB gap is essentially .014" which is as tight as I feel confortable making it so that the roller knurls don't contact each other.

upload_2019-3-6_0-35-16.png

@Bobby_M You are that rare exception, who sets examples for others! If they only paid attention...

One trend I've noticed, the bigger the place the coarser the crush. And the less customization.

A lot of jive talk in this thread. We have a highly adjustable mill with indexed markings for false bottoms (normal crush) and for BIAB. No, we do not double crush because we don't need to. The BIAB gap is essentially .014" which is as tight as I feel confortable making it so that the roller knurls don't contact each other.

'Bout damn time we get a decent online vendor in this multiverse!

View attachment 616064
you sell grain???

My brew life moves very slowly (the rest of my life is in the way, lol) but I'm getting ready to brew soon on my new ss 1V eBIAB setup. I was poking around online and saw some allow for the option of a double crush, but none allow specific mill gap setting options.
thanks, all :)
not sure what gap their mills are , I've gotten some even after Id specified not milled almost as coarse as builders sand. I own a mill, set up at 0.030 .Double crush.

I order my grains from Ritebrew, double crushed. Been very pleased with the results.

I can also recommend Ritebrew and their double crush option which gives me 80-90%+ efficiency doing BIAB. Fast service, attention to detail and quick to own mistakes.

I'm not sure any vendor will allow you to specify the mill gap due to the fact that it's their mill and your setting may not be appropriate for it.

I ended up finally buying a corona mill because I was so tired of the poor efficiency from the on-line retailers. Love having control over it

lol, will be ordering almost everything from brewhardware now it seems. well them and my lhbs

I am curious what a .014" crush looks like! I have my mill set at .025" and it comes out fairly powdery. I am not sure I would want it any smaller, but mostly because at .025" it struggles a little with some of the darker grains...though I found that if I just mix them around in my base grain it works better than just throwing all the specialty grain in at the same time.

Yes, we do have grain. We're actually a full service shop (including a retail store).

Our .014" might be close to your .025" because not every mill crushes the same based only on the gap. The roller diameter and feed rate have an effect as well (our mill has 2" rollers and we run it at 100 RPM). This is standard brewer's malt at our BIAB setting.

grain3.jpg

Yes, we do have grain. We're actually a full service shop (including a retail store).

Our .014" might be close to your .025" because not every mill crushes the same based only on the gap. The roller diameter and feed rate have an effect as well (our mill has 2" rollers and we run it at 100 RPM). This is standard brewer's malt at our BIAB setting.

View attachment 617004

I can vouch for Bobby and his BIAB/fine crush. I am lucky to have lived ~20 miles from his shop the past few years. I’m consistently getting close to 80% with his BIAB crush and a Wilser bag with no squeeze, just hanging until boil. Plus, his prices (for pretty much everything) are better than the big online boys. I’m being transferred back to SoCal this summer and I plan to continue to order from him.

I can vouch for Bobby and his BIAB/fine crush. I am lucky to have lived ~20 miles from his shop the past few years. I’m consistently getting close to 80% with his BIAB crush and a Wilser bag with no squeeze, just hanging until boil. Plus, his prices (for pretty much everything) are better than the big online boys. I’m being transferred back to SoCal this summer and I plan to continue to order from him.
Thanks. Id like to be transfered to socal.

I always had efficiency in the mid to high 70s with RiteBrew.com double crush. I also got similar efficiency with the double crush from AtlanticBrewSupply.com . I have since bought a corona mill and built my own mill station.

@Tarpon87 , I did the same, exactly. Ritebrew double crush, got a corona. I didn't do ABS, and to be honest, my corona mill station, to the untrained eye, looks suspiciously like a corona mill temporarily placed over a bucket.

But other than that, identical!

How do you explain the benefits of double crush when someone asks "how can double crushing grains help when it uses the same roller gap on the second pass?" I've been ordering double crushed grains for years but logically when asked by someone at the LHBS it doesn't make sense.

How do you explain the benefits of double crush when someone asks "how can double crushing grains help when it uses the same roller gap on the second pass?" I've been ordering double crushed grains for years but logically when asked by someone at the LHBS it doesn't make sense.

The only proper response to the LHBS asking the above question:

"Why don't you improve customer satisfaction by closing your mill gap so that we won't feel any need to double crush?"

No real explanation to the second pass on a double crush other than doing it myself on my Corona mill. It IS a lot finer after the second pass.

The grain particles may enter the mill under a different orientation and get crushed more, they may also get crushed further against one another.

We are not talking about marbles falling gently through a sieve, but rather a bunch of particles being punished, crushed and sheared together between two very hard surfaces.

Crushed grain is friable, I would guess a 3rd and 4th pass would further obliterate it to an overall finer crush.

Slamming your hand twice in the car door likely hurts more than slamming it once I would guess lol

Latest posts

Back