Do all peach wine recipes include pectic acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmini

Reaction score
I'm still pretty green at making wine so please be nice. I picked about 40lbs of peaches today and I thought I was all set up for making peach wine but once I started looking at recipes I realized there was more to it than just water, sugar, yeast and peaches. Input would be appreciated thanks everyone.

I'm still pretty green at making wine so please be nice. I picked about 40lbs of peaches today and I thought I was all set up for making peach wine but once I started looking at recipes I realized there was more to it than just water, sugar, yeast and peaches. Input would be appreciated thanks everyone.

I think you mean "pectic enzyme". No, you don't need it. What it does is break up the pectins in the fruit, so you get more juice out and don't end up with a pectin haze in the finished wine. It's sort of the opposite of "Sure-Jel" which people use to make jam by adding pectins to the wine. Pectic enzyme works to break up the pectin, especially when you add it to the fruit, so that you get more out of the fruit.

It's certainly not necessary, but usually it's very helpful.

U dont need it unless u r making a fine wine there will be a pectic haze and even filtering wont get rid of it it if u r just making wine to drink then u will b ok without the pectic enzyme

Back