Do all ciders clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaempfer0080

Reaction score
I have 2 one-gallon batches of cider going right now, I racked them to secondary after a month in primary. I used Nottingham ale yeast and the juices used were Simply Apple and Mott's all-natural pressed cider thingy.

They've been in secondary a few weeks and are still throwing lees but show absolutely no sign of clearing. I'm curious, will cider made with juice that was dark and opaque ever become clear? I know it's supposed to take months with cider, like 3 or 4 of clearing in secondary/tertiary, but is that only with juice that was clear to begin with?

Yes, it should, unless you boiled the juice or something. I use pectic enzyme is my wines/meads/ciders when I use fruit or juice so that I don't get a pectin haze.

It really depends on what's causing the haze, though. Yeast will fall out, but pectin generally won't. They make about a dozen different finings to help with clarity- both for positively charged particles, and negatively charged particles. If you know what's causing the haze, you can usually fix it. Unless you don't care, then it tastes great cloudy anyway!

Take a look at my "banana wine" thread!

The must went from this:
(RichBrewer's photo)

Banana_Wine.jpg

To this:
bananawine1.jpg

My banana mead (adapted from your recipe, Yooper) is still clearing after my raisin addition! Almost 1 1/2 months! In my experience, everything clears unless you've set in some pectins. Other than that, it's usually a matter of patience.

I have some cider going using a bottle of the WF 365 unfiltered juice. It's been going for 2 months now and several people have told me that after 2 years, theirs isn't cleared either. I am going to assume that unfiltered juice takes much longer to clear, if it does at all. Basically, let it get to where you like the flavor, and if it's a little cloudy, who cares!

I recently started 2 1 gallon. Batches myself, one with cider and nottingham ale yeast and the other with apple juice and lager yeast, I added in juice and raisins to the cider batch to jumpstart the fermentation, it stalled because of potassium sorbate preservative. The juice batch is fermenting in the fridge slowly. Both are cloudy. I am going to rack them into secondary fermenters in a couple of weeks. One was clear from the start the other cloudy. Time will tell .

Back