DME vs Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Pro/Con sticky is a great read, I read it just a few days ago all the way through.
As for me it's LME, but not only LME. I'll use DME, just find the liquid easier to mix in. I store it in the fridge if I'm not going to use it right away. And I warm it in a sink of hot water before adding it to the brew water.

I use LME in every single extract batch. 6lbs then adjust things to where I want them with DME. I know people use only DME. I find LME to be pretty simple unless you need a specific, non-6lb or 3.15lb amount.

I've used LME but only when I was going to use the whole amt purchased. Easier to add small amounts of DME its cleaner.

I haven't noticed a difference between DME and LME, provided the LME is fresh and has been kept cool. I agree that DME is easier to use in exact quantities, but my supplier of choice (Brewmaster's Warehouse) let's you order exact amounts of LME.

Back