DME late addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckle

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1.25 lbs light DME added at beginning of boil. It also calls for 3.3 lbs light LME (late addition) at 15 minutes. My LHBS gave me two three lb bags of light DME.

I know that LME can be added near end of boil to keep a lighter color. Does a late addition of DME do the same thing?

I know that for 3.3 lbs of LME I will need 2.65 lbs of DME.

I have a recipe that calls for 1.25 lbs light DME added at beginning of boil. It also calls for 3.3 lbs light LME (late addition) at 15 minutes. My LHBS gave me two three lb bags of light DME.

I know that LME can be added near end of boil to keep a lighter color. Does a late addition of DME do the same thing?

I know that for 3.3 lbs of LME I will need 2.65 lbs of DME.

Yes, late additions work great with DME.

Thanks Yooper. Never substituted DME for LME before but I know it can be done. This will leave me with about 2 lbs of DME left over. I may take that and formulate up a smaller batch of something.

Late addition works well for DME. One concern, though, is that although LME is pretty sanitized from the get-go, DME is not. I'd say you need at least 10 minutes of boil time to be really sure all the bugs are out of your DME, so don't add later than that.

Don't forget that late additions and boil volumes affect your Hop Utilization and impact your IBUs of the finished wort

Back