DIY Sparge Assembly - $1.93

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawkraut

Reaction score
OK - built a sparge assembly today to attach to the hose coming off my HLT. Total cost was $1.93. Ingredients for success:

- Watts Nylon Hose Barb T Connector A-291 $1.93
- leftover high temp hose
- small drill bit
- drill
- electricity
- eyesight, one or both
- hands or other mechanism with hand like dexterity
- coordination of hand/eye or mechanism/eye
- energy, of which you have endless (if you're reading this)
- frugalness
- homebrew chillin' in the fridge

The T connector has three barbs on it. As you can see - hopefully the photos attach - the sparge hose attaches to two of those barbs, the third barb connects to your HLT - and hopefully you have a ball valve with the appropriate barb coming off your HLT.

The hose from the HLT to the MT can be passed through a hole you cut through the lid of your MT if you so desire (haven't decided if I'd cut this hole or not - using 10 gal cylindrical coolers for HLT and MT).

Control the water output by drilling less or more holes in the tubing which is your "sparge assembly".

Total time = a matter of minutes after you pick up the T connector from your local hardware (HD in my case).

Will test this thing out this week - though preliminary kitchen sink tests resulted in positive signs. i.e. water drips out of holes drilled in tubing as it flows through the t-connector! :ban:

Arguably the cost would be a little above $1.93, perhaps priceless given the ingredients for success listed above, but total outlay for today, without taking into account, making use of other tools and materials which otherwise would have gone to waste, puts the cost of this project in the basement. Now will it perform? I can't see why not as long as you calibrate it (by drilling the appropriate number of holes in the appropriate places) to output 1 qt of water per minute (plus if you have a ball valve on you HLT then you have an extra bit of control over the sparge process).

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.JPG

Didn't count the holes. Used two diff drill buts til I figured out the right size then just drilled around in a pattern that made sense to me trying to evenly space things out. Ever so often I'd test the contraption by running water through it and keeping it level at the same time to see how things would flow. I used it for the third time last night and it worked great! I sized the loop to fit inside my mash tun (and left a comfortable amount of room around the sides).

I did similar with a coil of high temp tubing. Two problems; couldn't get clean holes with drill bit (ragged an plugged) and hot liquid made tubing sag so water did not flow evenly. You experience any of these issues?
John

I sure did not experience either of those issues j straight. The tubing I used (from Home Depot) is substantive enough to let the holes be holes and to stand up to the high sparging temps. When I drilled the holes through the tubing I did have to clean things up with a toothpick to make sure the scraps from the drilling were not floating around.

I've been thinking about doing something similar. I was debating a watering can style head on the end of a hose. However, yours may be easier to clean. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Definitely easy to clean. Comes apart easily without compromising the setup. Works well. I've brewed 6%ers up to 9.5%ers with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back