DIY lauter tun from pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
I am moving up from a 4 gallon pot to an 8 gallon, so can do all-grain now. But I need a lauer tun. Can I turn my 4-gallon pot into a lauter tun? Details? Thanks!

brewpood said:
I am moving up from a 4 gallon pot to an 8 gallon, so can do all-grain now. But I need a lauer tun. Can I turn my 4-gallon pot into a lauter tun? Details? Thanks!
What size AG batches do you have planned?
If you're going for 5 gal you'll be better off w/ a 10 gal BK (IMO). Also, you'll need a bigger mash tun than 4 gal. Again 10 gal would be ideal.
Remember you'll be dealing w/ a fair amount of grain plus water for your mash and you'll be boiling 7-8 gallons of wort depending on your recipe & boil off for anywhere from 60-90 minutes.

Right, recipes for 5 gallon batches. I'm interested in using metal instead of a plastic thermos for my lauter tun, which is why I was thinking of converting the pot. But no good, huh?

Mash Tun, Lauter Tun or Mash/Lauter Tun (MLT)?

But anyway you look at it, it's too small for 5 gallon batches.

brewpood said:
Right, recipes for 5 gallon batches. I'm interested in using metal instead of a plastic thermos for my lauter tun, which is why I was thinking of converting the pot. But no good, huh?
I don't think you'll be able to mash a 5 gal batch using a 4 gal pot just like boiling that 5 gal batch in an 8 gal pot is going to be problematic.
Perhaps using the 8 gal for your MT & getting a 10 gal pit for a BK would work.
How were you thinking of setting up the MT? Manifold w/ a ball lock valve?

Your 4 gallons pot is way too small for a 5 gallons pot BUT, like you, I was reluctant about using a plastic cooler in which we put 180 F water. So I bought a 9 gallons aluminium pot, used rigid foam cut into strips to insulate the bottom and side and covered the whole thing in wood to make it look good.

The whole thing is removable with 2 latches at the back so cleaning is a breeze
Granted, this project was a quite a lot of work compared to buying a cooler but brewing without plastic is priceless to me.

8 gallon pots work fine for 5 gallon batches. I've used one for as long as I can remember. I can probably count the number of boil overs I've had in the past ten years on one hand; and they were my own fault for walking away from the BK right as it was approaching boiling temps. I almost always start off the boil with 6.75 gallons of wort and an 8 gallon pot has never been an issue . I agree with the other posts about 4 gallons being too small for a mash/lauter tun. When I first went AG I used a 5 gallon cooler. On many occasions it was filled to the brim, so unless you have no plans to brew bigger beers, I'd say go with a 10 gallon vessel.

P.S. If you have an Asian market near you, they can be great places to pick up large stock pots for a good price. I picked up some 12+ gallon stainless pots for my MT and HLT for $70 each. They work great. The only thing is I wouldn't trust lifting them by the handles unless they're empty.

Thanks for all the good ideas. matc, that is a work of art and something to aspire to. Maybe I can make an uglier version that will work. You didn't happen to make any videos, did you?

Nope sorry ! Not very complicated though...I bought a sheet of rigid foam insulation, cut it into strips of 1" with a knife and with a lot of duct tape, wrapped it around the pot. I then made a long panel with wood planks and two metal straps to wrap around the pot. The bottom and top are also insulated. I lose 1 F maximum with this setup so I'm pretty happy with it

Back