DIY Keg Cleaning Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSUBrewer

Reaction score
I just broke down a saltwater aquarium and want to repurpose the aquarium pump I used to mix saltwater with to make a keg cleaner. Do you think an overnight soak in PBW followed by a 4 hour soak in bleach, followed by a quick soak in star-San would ensure a clean pump I could use for the keg cleaner/CIP beer line cleaner?

I'd be ok with that. Are you saying that it just pumped saltwater before the fish were in it, or did it include whatever was in the water, including offal and whatever?

If only salt-water, I'd think a PBW soak and a dunk in Star-San would be enough. If you think there are a lot of biological nasties potentially affixed to the pump, then the more extensive treatment would be warranted--though I don't think more than 1/2 hour with a bleach solution would be necessary.

I think one of the pumps in the saltwater mixing barrel was used in an established tank for a couple months.

IMG_20180506_091222.jpg
inline keg cleaning.....getting ready for inline carb

The top is off for one and it looks like you're just recirculating between the two skinny dip tubes.
Leaves the top untouched, the flow rate can't be very impressive due to the restrictions, so mechanical "scrubbing" action is likely quite limited...

Cheers!

PBW works if there is no movement. The only time you need lots of movement is when you have long runs of tubing and you need exchange. The top of his keg and lid is not getting cleaned unless he puts the lid on and is shaking it during cleaning.

The top is off for one and it looks like you're just recirculating between the two skinny dip tubes.
Leaves the top untouched, the flow rate can't be very impressive due to the restrictions, so mechanical "scrubbing" action is likely quite limited...

Cheers!
Ok thanks. The top was off but it was filled to brim..the flow rate was only that of the pump..6.5 gpm i agree with the skinny tubes.got any pictures on your method of cleaning your 16 kegs...do you use ball locks connections on the keg or some diy cip ball

I also have a Mark II. It works pretty well with kegs using two tablespoons of PBW with hot water.
Totally sucks with carboys, though that may be because I won't use hot anything in them, so the cleaning solution pretty much just rolls over the crud line...

Cheers!

I also have a Mark II. It works pretty well with kegs using two tablespoons of PBW with hot water.
Totally sucks with carboys, though that may be because I won't use hot anything in them, so the cleaning solution pretty much just rolls over the crud line...

Cheers!
Thank for the info..will have to look at my diy plan,Yes i can see the power spray head inside cleaning really well must be a another part for the gas and liquid..thanks

Back