DIY Grain Mill Station...Another MOTOR Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ****, there is plenty of room. That's what I get for playing around on Amazon prematurely. I picked up a on/off switch for a router here: http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Safety-Power-Tool-Switch/dp/B001DT13B2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1422201456&sr=8-5&keywords=router+on+off+switch

71qmgtfTunL._SL1000_.jpg

So I guess that I'll use that initially, but it seems there is plenty of space to put something right in that box. Thanks for the picture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorized it earlier tonight. Here's some shots along the way, and the completed rig. The crush is amazing. I'll put up a running video of it in action once I brew again (next week). Spent some quality time with my Dad building it. Don't get to do many projects with him these days so that was a nice bonus!

This Powergrinder motor (http://www.allamericanaleworks.com) is awesome! Does a great job and really is a treat to setup. Very easy.

Here's a video on YouTube of the Powergrinder in action by the seller.

motorized_mill_build1-64741.jpg

motorized_mill_build2-64742.jpg

powergrinder-64753.jpg

And the completed setup...
motorized_mm2-64743.jpg

motorized_mill2-64752.jpg

good work. i've been looking around for a used motor and i'm close to the conclusion that this power grinder motor is the way to go. there are tons of cheap, used motors online but sifting through all of the various specs you need for a mill and hoping the thing runs when you get it is a chore.

Just out of curiosity that needs to be satiated prior to Monday... The inside of that electrical box on the side of the motor, is it pretty jam-full of capacitor and wiring? I've been planning on a remotely located switch, but I'm wondering if right on the motor is feasible.

I set mine up w/ a separate switch & even an extra outlet for other needs that might arise. It's on the left front in the photo.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422657389.184870.jpg

My MM3-2.0/AAAW-PG mill station is not entirely complete, but is functional. I took a pile of photos and intend to post a build thread once the final polish has been put on the rig. In the meantime, I wanted to share my excitement over using this mill WITH the power grinder motor for the first time (infinitely better than a drill).
So, without further ado... (let's see if this works)

Last edited by a moderator:
So yeah. Sorry for the ramblings and tapering off of sentences... But I'm pretty jazzed about milling 32# in 3:34 with next to no effort on my part. Also, Buster-cat sighting at 1:09!

So yeah. Sorry for the ramblings and tapering off of sentences... But I'm pretty jazzed about milling 32# in 3:34 with next to no effort on my part. Also, Buster-cat sighting at 1:09!

Looks awesome man. Great job! The powergrinder motor makes quick work of that grain bill.

I'm also looking for a motor and I'm wondering how important is it to have an explosion proof motor? I've heard lots of different opinions and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra expense. Is this something I really need to worry about, or is it something I could fix by having an exhaust fan for the dust, or something similar?

My suggestion is All American Ale Works. Great motor and ready to go out of the box.

http://www.allamericanaleworks.com/

^^^^This. You will need the appropriate Lovejoys and a spider to connect to you mill drive shaft. You might also need to shim the motor or mill to align them correctly. Last, make sure you secure the motor well. It has a lot of torque

Mine has been running flawlessly for over a year on a 3 roller MM.

Ok got a hold of them if anyone is interested they are in the process of moving but he going to do a shipment very soon. Great guy I am really glad I called he helped me with installation questions

Steve Smith is a great guy. Took the time to talk me through things on the phone. It's a great thing he's doing here supplying the homebrew community. Would be cool to see him as a vendor on here at some point. I suggested it to him back when I bought my motor.

Back