DIY Fermentation Chamber vs Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I am wanting to do my primary fermentation at 68 degrees for a week then do secondary fermentation at 55 degrees or lower for a week or so. I have a DIY chamber that I am currently not using and a chest freezer that I am. Which one would be better for the higher / lower temperature? During the warmer months, I have had a lot of condensation leading to mold in the DIY chamber when fermenting at 68 degrees (that's why I bought the chest freezer). Not sure if that means the chamber would be better at the lower temperature since it would be running more. Any thoughts?

I would think the freezer would be better. I use sham wows and they suck up moisture, never have had any issues with moisture in my ferm chamber or beer cave.

The freezer should have a gasket on the lid to minimize the air exchange so you shouldn't get much condensation in there, only what was in the air when you put the fermenter in there.

Do you have a solid reason to start your ferment at 68 for a week and then lower the temperature? Most of what I have read says you start your ferment cooler than 68 and then warm the beer up to encourage the yeast to finish the ferment. I start mine in the low 60's, preferably pitching the yeast at about 59 and letting the beer warm to 62 for the first week, then raise the temperature to 72 for the remainder of the time it spends in the fermenter.

I read some clone recipes in Brew magazine that did their fermentation this way, 68 then 55 for the secondary. I was assuming this was to help settle out any left over yeast. So are you both saying use the freezer for colder temps?

Latest posts

Back