DIY Fermentation chamber questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
Looking to step up my game a bit and go after better control of fermentation. I have a decent basement, but it is unfinished and so is not conditioned space. But being a basement, does a decent job of staying pretty consistent over time. Still, I have been researching DIY FCs. Lots of varieties out there. Currently considering the style using either a mini fridge, small window AC unit, chest freezer or fridge. At this time, only need one or two slots for a 5 gallon batches (but big enough to hold the larger fermenters like a Speidel or similar). I don't foresee going after the more sophisticated chronicals and such anytime soon, but who knows. I think I like the idea of keeping it more of a horizontal format for ease of loading. I am pretty handy with building stuff, so not worried about that part of it.

Some questions are...why use one over the other? Is a window AC unit sufficient or should I consider a proper refrigerator or freezer? I am willing to make it a bit larger than current needs since it's generally minimal to do that now rather than later, but want to strike a good balance of not going too far either. Part of the question is I don't know what I don't know as related to shortcoming of one design over another when a person starts getting more serious, making the thing you just created obsolete or a PITA. TIA.

Well I am in sorta the same boat as you, I have a ferm chamber that I built and it was put together with stuff I had and it has been a work in progress and really only works well in the winter using the heater.

I built mine out of a old homemade chest and a dorm fridge, I looked at lots of pictures and videos and sealed it as much as I could using caulk and metal tape. But after the first use I could see that it wasn’t cooling enough, I tried adding fans, pre cooling it with water bottles but it just couldn’t keep up. The dorm fridge just isn’t big enough to also cool the box, if I had to do it again I would build a bigger box and use the smallest window unit I could find.

Not sure how much space you have but building something bigger could then be used as a place to cold crash, store kegs and keep bottles that you acquire.

My advice... consider a chest freezer, and make sure it's tall enough for whatever fermenter(s) you have now or may be considering. I currently use an upright freezer for most batches, because my main fermenter is too tall for any chest freezers. But chest freezers are generally more efficient and last longer than uprights, in my experience.

You can build a chamber with an AC unit, and they work fine for fermentation, but you will (probably) not be able to get down to cold crashing/lagering temps if you need that. At least that's what I remember from when I crunched numbers years ago, when I was considering an AC build. Maybe there are units that could do it. I dunno.

I have plenty of room but don't need to go overboard either. Looking for that goldilocks balance. As far as a kegerator, keezer or whatever...isn't that generally something that is more in your serving space (which would generally not be the same place as where you brew the beer)? I currently don't keg (though I probably will sooner than later as I, but haven't given a lot of thought towards where that system might live in the house.

As far as a kegerator, keezer or whatever...isn't that generally something that is more in your serving space (which would generally not be the same place as where you brew the beer)?

Definitely. You could use a keezer as a fermentation chamber in a pinch, but your kegs and carefully balanced draft system won't be happy about it.

I have plenty of room but don't need to go overboard either. Looking for that goldilocks balance. As far as a kegerator, keezer or whatever...isn't that generally something that is more in your serving space (which would generally not be the same place as where you brew the beer)? I currently don't keg (though I probably will sooner than later as I, but haven't given a lot of thought towards where that system might live in the house.

Balance makes sense, the chest freezer is a good idea, it’s ready to go right out of the box with a controller.

And I have my kegerator in my garage where I brew, maybe other people have them in their house but I don’t.

For what process do you need the additional cold capacity of a freezer? Looking around for used stuff, not much in the way of "affordable" in my opinion...around $300 for the cheapest chest freezer within decent driving distance. When I see folks successfully making them from AC units and mini-fridges, what else does the freezer offer...the cold crash bit...anything else?

Looking around for used stuff, not much in the way of "affordable" in my opinion...around $300 for the cheapest chest freezer within decent driving distance.

Used chest freezers often show up dirt cheap on Craigslist.

When I see folks successfully making them from AC units and mini-fridges, what else does the freezer offer...the cold crash bit...anything else?

Cold crashing and lagering. And easy setup.

Used chest freezers often show up dirt cheap on Craigslist...

Ya I was looking on there and on FB Marketplace. Several out there, but not the cheap kind :)

I've found a few of those that are used as display cases...what are general thoughts on those aside from needing to black out the glass?

I've found a few of those that are used as display cases...what are general thoughts on those aside from needing to black out the glass?

Like grocery store meat freezers?

This is one of those things where everyone has different needs and wants so you are going to get a bunch of different ideas.

If it makes more sense to build something than build it, do you have anything now that you are trying to use? Like the air conditioner? You will need to know how big of box your going to make and then size either the ac unit or fridge so it cools it properly.

Using nothing now but the ambient basement air :) The mini fridge or AC unit DIY style seems appealing for cost and being able to make it to the size needed. Initial thought is to be sized for 2 fermenters (currently using a bucket, but planning to pick up either a Speidel 7.9G or Fermonster 7G for add'l batches).

Honestly then ac unit sounds like a better fit because you can build what works now and add to it later or just build it bigger and not worry about cooling capacity.

If you ferment in a corny you can get 4 into a standard freezer top fridge, they are easy to load, and can get those cheep. The freezers maybe not, but a standard fridge is easy to find for under $100. It would be a change, but then you could ferment and serve in the same container also, or transfer to a serving keg with no O2 getting into the beer using CO2 pressure transfer. Easy Peasy. :mug:

If you ferment in a corny you can get 4 into a standard freezer top fridge, they are easy to load, and can get those cheep. The freezers maybe not, but a standard fridge is easy to find for under $100. It would be a change, but then you could ferment and serve in the same container also, or transfer to a serving keg with no O2 getting into the beer using CO2 pressure transfer. Easy Peasy. :mug:

Ya plenty of those available. What do you do with the upper freezer section since it's not needed? Seems like a waste of space and cooling opportunity.

Ya plenty of those available. What do you do with the upper freezer section since it's not needed? Seems like a waste of space and cooling opportunity.
When attached to a controller, I have used the freezer to keep ice and other stuff I use to help when using my pre-chiller. The freezer is attached to the controller also, but not as to temp, so when the fridge is on the freezer is trying to keep it freezing. :mug:

I have a chest freezer and used to use it for both fermenting and serving kegs. It became a real pain when I wanted to use it to ferment but also had kegs with beer in them. For me personally I don’t have the space for another chest freezer or even mini Ferm chamber. I did some research and ended up getting this:

https://ballandkeg.com/temperature-control-loop.php
You’ll need to get an inkbird or similar controller and a small pump, but all together it cost me about $100. You can also put a Ferm wrap on the outside of your fermenter as long as it fits and quite easily ferment within one degree of your selected temp. I’ve done a few beers with this setup and I really like it. You won’t be able to truly cold crash, but I’ve been able to drop it to 55-58 pretty easily.

You’ll have to change out the cold water Once or twice a day during the peak of fermentation but it’s really not that big of a deal. Takes a few minutes max.
F178A755-C1B8-4439-A5B7-120784D234AC.jpeg

I was able to pick up an old one of these for free. I cut out the divider between the freezer and fridge and use a temp controller with the fridge plugged into cooling and a heat belt plugged into the heating. I'm currently crashing a beer at 29F.

When I started homebrewing, I scored and found both my fermentation chamber (upright freezer) and kegerator (bottom fridge top freezer) at the same time. As I was driving home from picking of the kegerator (free on Craigslist), I spotted the upright freezer on the side of the road and picked it up too. All the freezer needs is a temperature controller and you're done. Inkbird ITC-308 is hard to beat. Shoot, get the wifi model and be geeky about it. For the kegerator, I can hold 6 corny kegs in the fridge and theres no modifying the temp control. The top freezer is great for storing hops and ice, or anything else. Also, if you ever need extra fridge storage for food, say if you're throwing a big party, set the freezer controller to 34F and it's great for short term refrigeration.

IMG_9023.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

When I started homebrewing, I scored and found both my fermentation chamber (upright freezer) and kegerator (bottom fridge top freezer) at the same time. As I was driving home from picking of the kegerator (free on Craigslist), I spotted the upright freezer on the side of the road and picked it up too. All the freezer needs is a temperature controller and you're done. Inkbird ITC-308 is hard to beat. Shoot, get the wifi model and be geeky about it. For the kegerator, I can hold 6 corny kegs in the fridge and theres no modifying the temp control. The top freezer is great for storing hops and ice, or anything else. Also, if you ever need extra fridge storage for food, say if you're throwing a big party, set the freezer controller to 34F and it's great for short term refrigeration.

View attachment 680309View attachment 680310

Curious how you have the manifold mounted in the kegerator, and any other tidbits you have to offer.. I now have the donor fridge (std top freezer style), need to plumb it now. Morebeer has a 5-way manifold on sale (no gauges), thinking about that. I suppose one of the fancier ones with gauages at each port might be better, but is it necessary to spend $150+ versus $35? How useful are the extra gauges I wonder.

Cool, thanks. I need to use the alcohol and corn starch technique to figure out where I can put some screws.

Looking to step up my game a bit and go after better control of fermentation. I have a decent basement, but it is unfinished and so is not conditioned space. But being a basement, does a decent job of staying pretty consistent over time. Still, I have been researching DIY FCs. Lots of varieties out there. Currently considering the style using either a mini fridge, small window AC unit, chest freezer or fridge. At this time, only need one or two slots for a 5 gallon batches (but big enough to hold the larger fermenters like a Speidel or similar). I don't foresee going after the more sophisticated chronicals and such anytime soon, but who knows. I think I like the idea of keeping it more of a horizontal format for ease of loading. I am pretty handy with building stuff, so not worried about that part of it.

Some questions are...why use one over the other? Is a window AC unit sufficient or should I consider a proper refrigerator or freezer? I am willing to make it a bit larger than current needs since it's generally minimal to do that now rather than later, but want to strike a good balance of not going too far either. Part of the question is I don't know what I don't know as related to shortcoming of one design over another when a person starts getting more serious, making the thing you just created obsolete or a PITA. TIA.
Hi I used a window AC for years when I lived in Key West. Worked fine. Between batches I sprayed evaporator with a Iodine spritzer

Back