DIY ferment bucket question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to buy some of these. Paklab 6.5 Gallon bucket w/ lid

But I don't know the correct size for the grommets and how big the hole needs to be. I don't really want to pay $26 (after shipping) for a single bucket if I can get the same thing and make my own for less. If it helps, I plan on staying with the S bubble airlocks.

EDIT: Ok, I found the grommets on NB, but don't like the idea of paying $8.65/shipping for a couple of grommets and airlocks. Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesfan said:
Drink another beer Amanda. Apparently you're still a bit stressed out over something. ;)

Seriously Yestfan???

If you don't have a LHBS then go to the hardware store and buy a grommet, but gas and time will cost you, it's just not spelled out as a "shipping charge" :ban:

I figured maybe someone knew of an online source as opposed to getting out. I work a lot of OT and the nearest LHBS is about 45-60 away.

I didn't realize I would ruffle a few feathers asking a simple question. Any mods reading this, feel free to lock or delete this thread. I'm not here to cause any trouble.

I want to buy some of these. Paklab 6.5 Gallon bucket w/ lid

But I don't know the correct size for the grommets and how big the hole needs to be. I don't really want to pay $26 (after shipping) for a single bucket if I can get the same thing and make my own for less. If it helps, I plan on staying with the S bubble airlocks.

EDIT: Ok, I found the grommets on NB, but don't like the idea of paying $8.65/shipping for a couple of grommets and airlocks. Ideas?

The hole is 1/2-9/16. I bought a 1/2 spade bit, drilled the hole, then used a round file to make the hole the right size. I bought the grommet and bit at Home Depot. I brew batches around 3 gallons, so I bought a 5 gallon bucket and lid at Lowe's. Price for everything was $10-$15.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured maybe someone knew of an online source as opposed to getting out. I work a lot of OT and the nearest LHBS is about 45-60 away.

I didn't realize I would ruffle a few feathers asking a simple question. Any mods reading this, feel free to lock or delete this thread. I'm not here to cause any trouble.

There are lots of on line resources but you don't like the concept of shipping charges, as for ruffling feathers, it wasn't your question, it was your rude response to Amanda:D

Back