DIY false bottom? Will this work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hs0656

Reaction score
I want to put a false bottom in my keggle. I have the 2 piece ball valve and adapter installed. I plan on using this as a brew kettle for whole hops. I'm just trying to fish for each of your expert opinions here.

So here's what I picked up. While browsing through my local goodwill, I found this little token, and it stuck out immediately. I payed $.75 for it. The perforations are a little bigger in some areas, but I have never brewed with whole hops. All I have ever used is pellets. So what do you guys think? It even has a hole right in the center of it that I could stick the pick-up tube in.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

5732304336_25be244605_z.jpg

5732302990_3e619ffef1_z.jpg

toolboxdiver said:
why don't you wrap it in Stainless steel Screen and it should be fine

I agree that would be a great idea. I'm not sure how I would secure the screen to it but Im sure I could devise something. If I put screen over it, do you think it might work for pellets also?

That plate is genuinely pretty, and you're brilliant for seeing it and thinking "beer", but my question is, what's wrong with using a bag?

I bag all my whole hops, I pull the bag out. Issue solved.

Wouldnt say that I have any issue with bagging hops, but for 75 cents, LOL, well you get the picture...

I agree that would be a great idea. I'm not sure how I would secure the screen to it but Im sure I could devise something. If I put screen over it, do you think it might work for pellets also?

i wouldn't try to screen out pelletized hops. They clog up just about anything pretty quick.

I'm assuming you don't have access to a tack-welder, mig, tig or even a stick or torch? heck you could braze the screen on with a MAPP gas torch. otherwise just cut a few 3-5 long tabs when cutting the sreen to fit. wrap the tabs around the edge and fold it under the rim of the plate.

No I don't have access to any of those items unfortunately. I will probably try the tabs though. I assume I can buy SS wire mesh at any local Big Box/lowes?

I would go with Mcmaster, and get some of the stainless crimp rings and just crimp the screen on. You could also do it with stainless wire. - Dwain

Thanks to both of you for the advice! I will look today for the wire mesh screen. And I found a cheesy way of securing the screen. I have stainless steel clam clips in my desk at work and it dawn on me that they may just work perfectly. I will update the thread soon as I find the screen.

Why not place the screen on the disc, then push a few screws through the holes on the perimeter and screen, then secure with a washer and nut?

D*** it Jet!! Thats probably the easiest and cheapest idea yet. And I love it. I am definitely gonna try that. However, any suggestion for the center hole?? Im gonna bore it out a little bigger to support my keggles pick-up tube. So the wire mesh would obviously get in the way of that...

Also, id assume SS nuts bolts and washers right?

Definitely SS hardware.

I would use the first ring of holes around the center hole (maybe every other one) and put scres through them to keep the screen tight. Just cut an X or so in the screen to slip the dip tube through.

That's just a thought. I haven't finished my DIY FB yet.

I bought a perforated stainless steel splatte guard for $20 and cut it a bit smaller to serve as a false bottom in my 10 gallon cooler. Cut out the middle and am just trying to figure out how to secure the drip tube for mine. Mine will be for a mash tun and not kettle, though.

The problem is you might have channeling issues since the holes aren't even and then when your efficiency sucks, you'll be asking whats wrong.

A normal FB is about $35. Just buy it, really, I use one and they are great. Some things DIY is great for (like the temp controller) but sometimes its just making work to save a few pennies.

What are you referring to as the "drip tube"? Maybe we can help you out with ideas also. You have any photos?

I should get my valve in the mail today. I ordered everything from Bargainfittings in stainless. I am going to make my own copper pick up tube from parts I bought at Lowes. Just have to figure out a way to make the pick up tube spin in the center so it will thread in and out easily when I have the false bottom installed...

badmajon said:
The problem is you might have channeling issues since the holes aren't even and then when your efficiency sucks, you'll be asking whats wrong.

I guess I could see how efficiency would be an issue if I was using it in a mashtun. But Im gonna use this in a brew keggle. I wouldnt think Id have any issues if Im whole hopping in it while using a pick up tube. Am I missing something here??

badmajon, I think OP is using this for a kettle. Mine is for a mash tun, but the holes on my mateiral are much more even and regularly spaced.

hs0656, Dip tube, pick-up tube. Same thing. I hadn't thought about putting a thread on the center hole. That might make for a good seal. I've been thinking about a copper pick-up tube as well. I made one for my kettle that's super simple and draws from the center. I don't filter at my kettle valve. I use a paint-strainer bag for my hops and don't concern myself too much with the little bit that gets through.

No pics yet. I rarely take pics while I'm working on something. Usualy only after, when I remember. haha.

JetSmooth said:
badmajon, I think OP is using this for a kettle. Mine is for a mash tun, but the holes on my mateiral are much more even and regularly spaced.
. Im definitely using it for a kettle, not a tun.

JetSmooth said:
hs0656, Dip tube, pick-up tube. Same thing. I hadn't thought about putting a thread on the center hole. That might make for a good seal. I've been thinking about a copper pick-up tube as well. I made one for my kettle that's super simple and draws from the center. I don't filter at my kettle valve. I use a paint-strainer bag for my hops and don't concern myself too much with the little bit that gets through.

No pics yet. I rarely take pics while I'm working on something. Usualy only after, when I remember. haha.

Ah gotcha. I was able to find all the necessary copper parts at Lowes. However, just need to figure out how to thread the pick up tube on and off without rotating the entire tube. If the whole tube spins, it'll interfere with the FB. I need to have it sleeved somehow in the center of the tube. Maybe Ill need to make another trip to Lowes.

I think a lot of commercial fale bottoms just fit the tube down in the center with as small a tolerance as possible. Others have an elbow fitting with a hose barb screwed (or soldered or whatever) onto the FB itself. Then you have a hose barb on the insid eof your kettle and use some hihg-temp silicone hoses to join the two.

For me, I'm thinking of a compression fitting (http://www.mcmaster.com/#5272k199) the back of the valve and using a copper tube to go to an elbow stuck into the false bottom.

JetSmooth said:
For me, I'm thinking of a compression fitting (http://www.mcmaster.com/#5272k199) the back of the valve and using a copper tube to go to an elbow stuck into the false bottom.

Does the copper pipe get soldered directly to the compression fitting? And when you loosen the nut on the compression fitting to remove the pick up tube, will that prevent the entire tube from rotating 360? Its hard for me to tell just be looking at it. Seems like a really good idea

The point to a compression fitting is to be able to insert the copper tube into the fitting and tighten the nut down creating a seal. But you can loosen it and pull the tube right out.

My fitting arrived today. If I have a chance to finish my FB this weekend, I'll post some pics.

That would be great. So let me make sure Im understanding you correctly. The compression fitting threads into the backside of the ball valve adapter, and the 1/2 inch copper tube slides into the other side of the compression fitting, and then you tighten down the nut? No soldering is needed for that end? That sounds like the simplest way to install a tube yet. Atleast as far as "easy removal" is concerned.

Any ideas where a person could purchase one locally? Perhaps an auto store, napa or advanced, or maybe lowes or hd? Just trying to get one quicker! My impatience has proven to be somewhat of a personal annoyance over the years, LOL!

Ok, so I watched a few videos on compression fittings and youre a genius. This is absolutley perfect for what im wanting. I imagine that Ill be able to find one of these at Lowes or any other plumbing store in town. And really, thanks for the great idea. Exactly the device I was looking for!

If you can find a big enough one, that's good. But you should remember to keep the diameter as big as you can. I don't know that I've seen 1/2inch compression with 1/2in NPT threads locally. You may ge lucky though.

JetSmooth said:
If you can find a big enough one, that's good. But you should remember to keep the diameter as big as you can. I don't know that I've seen 1/2inch compression with 1/2in NPT threads locally. You may ge lucky though.

Ya thanks for the advice. I definitely wont go with anything lower than 1/2 inch on both sides. Did you get a brass compression fitting or

Do you think the brass will interfere with stainless and copper? My ball valve and associated fittings are stainless, and Im using a copper pick-up tube. I found a 1/2 stainless compression fitting on Amazon but its almost $20! I would prefer to have stainless but ouch, thats pricey! Still plan on looking around town for fittings at plumbing suppliers though...

Is your ball valve brass?

The brass compression fitting is MADE for copper tubing and to be used in conjunction with water. So I would assume it to be safe. Again, that's an assumption.

Whether the heat and extra chemicals present in wort would do anything, I dunno. I mean, we use copper in wort and we use brass in wort.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Well, I've hit an impasse. I screwed some copper fittings into the pick-up hole and now I can't get them off. I bent the stainless steel a little and can't get them off.

I'm going to call this a loss and probably pick up the stuff for a copper manifold for now. :( *sighs*

BTW, the 1/2" compression fitting I got from McMaster-Carr wouldn't work with the rigid copper 1/2" I already had. I should have known it was for soft copper pipe. SO now I have this fitting I may not be able to use.

Well d***!! I hate to hear that. Were the thread patterns different or something? I dont understand why it wouldnt work for you.

Not threads. The 1/2" copper pipe I have, which I used to make the dip tube for my kettle, won't fit into the compression fitting. I suppose it's because rigid copper "pipe" has a different wall thickness than copper "tube". I didn't think about that when I first cooked this idea up.

Going to Lowes tomorrow to see what parts I can grab to make this work.

Though, if worse comes to worse, I can always make a copper pipe manifold for the bottom and abandon the $20 I paid for the splatter guard. In any case, it shouldn't affect your false bottom because you could always get the proper copper tubing (soft copper tubing, if I recall) and use the compression fitting (may sell you mine if I can't use it). I already made the hole in my FB, which would be too big for the smaller OD soft copper tubing, but I think you could make it work.

Will know more tomorrow, I hope.

Jet, were you able to discover any items at Lowes today that would allow you to salvage your project? I was intending on going myself but got wrapped up on my kettle project. Im going to go tomorrow and try to find a compression fitting and copper pipe that I can make work. If I cant find anything there, Ill probably hit up all the hardware stores in town here and see what I can make work. I definitely wanna use brass and copper if possible to save some cash-ola. Ill post pics of my kettle progress thus far....

5748891387_89c244a9cf_z.jpg

5749437970_a57472185d_z.jpg

5748890339_ecde413a8c_z.jpg

So, I took a few pictures throughout and this is the result. It was a nasty old keg at first. I free handed the top removal with an angle grinder and the result was smooth and round. Then I polished the exterior with many different levels of sandpaper, steel wool, and lubricant (not to mention elbow grease). And finally installed the valve I purchased from bargain fittings. It was a breeze and thankfully held water with no leakage!! Now if I can only make that $.75 false bottom work! It seems awfully small inside the keg though. Not sure if she'll do the trick or not...

Jet, were you able to discover any items at Lowes today that would allow you to salvage your project? I was intending on going myself but got wrapped up on my kettle project. Im going to go tomorrow and try to find a compression fitting and copper pipe that I can make work. If I cant find anything there, Ill probably hit up all the hardware stores in town here and see what I can make work. I definitely wanna use brass and copper if possible to save some cash-ola. Ill post pics of my kettle progress thus far....

Nah, I didn't. Spent the day walking around Baltimore with the wife and kiddo. Priorities. . . . . Mine are all messed up. . . . shoulda been working on homerbewing. ;)

If you get a compression fitting, make sure you get soft copper tube and not "pipe" and you should be cool.

I'm going to abando the DIY false bottom for now and make a copper manifold. I may get back to it later, but I want to clal this phase of my build done so I can go on to the brewing.

The keggle looks pretty sweet!

So, I got the pick up tube finished today. I contemplated using soft copper tube and using a side tube and just doing the whirlpool. But, I figured that the more fluid I get the more beer Ill have. Plus, a little extra trub in beer isnt always such a bad thing. Still planning on trying to use this false bottom with some SS wire screen, but may have to break down and just buy one if it doesnt work. Anyways, tell me what ya think!

5759809044_e9bb5f1840_z.jpg

5759808558_30eca392bb_z.jpg

Yup. That's exactly what I was thinking you'd do.

Looks good.

A little SS mesh to fill the holes and maybe a washer to tighten that center pickup hole would do. Or a bit of silicone tubing stuck over the copper tube too.

Back