Diy conical idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
Lately I have been wanting to get a stainless conical fermenter so I can get rid of my plastic bucket and have ease of yeast collection and beer transfers. However I would also like to start fermenting under pressure. The problem is the items that fit this bill are few and very expensive. My idea came looking at my one keg that lost its bottom rubber base. The bottom is nicely rounded and would be a decent start for a diy conical. I was thinking of buying a big stainless funnel and cutting out the bottom of keg and Tig welding the funnel in place. Would be relatively easy to fit a valve at end of funnel also. Could be done pretty cheaply compared to real conicals. What y'all think?

If you have the materials and know how along with the ability to do a good sanitary weld - might as well go for it.

If yo uhave the materials to spare and are willing to take a risk - what have you got to lose?

Lately I have been wanting to get a stainless conical fermenter so I can get rid of my plastic bucket and have ease of yeast collection and beer transfers. However I would also like to start fermenting under pressure. The problem is the items that fit this bill are few and very expensive. My idea came looking at my one keg that lost its bottom rubber base. The bottom is nicely rounded and would be a decent start for a diy conical. I was thinking of buying a big stainless funnel and cutting out the bottom of keg and Tig welding the funnel in place. Would be relatively easy to fit a valve at end of funnel also. Could be done pretty cheaply compared to real conicals. What y'all think?

I'm not sure exactly how the blichmann cornical works but you should be able to model it. You can capture the yeast, drain the trub and then carb and drink.

It sounds simple but in fact the process will be slow going and the fit has to be bang on. Be careful of you materials, make sure that the funnel is 304 or 316 stainless, any thing else and you will have issues. It will need to be sanitary which means you will have to purge with Argon to stop the sugar from forming. Toledo metal spinning makes cones that will fit a keg and is pretty close to the same thickness. The proper cone angle is 60 degrees not sure on what you funnel would be.

Post lots of pics if you decide to do this!

Cheers,
CBG

I looked into doing this as well, but found that prefab funnels were VERY expensive (as much as a lower end ss brewbucket).

Even if you fabricate your own cone, by the time you adding buying a keg, multiple triclamp housings & caps, a thermowell, a spigot or two, and your time (not to mention hoping you can get a perfect sanitary weld) you likely could've bought a ready to go unit (or two), brewed a batch (or two), and be drinking it.

Great in theory, but not practical unless doing it yourself outweighs the budget & other logistics.

Good input guys. I found some funnels that were around $30 that I think would work. Thanks hardest part is getting a clean weld for sure. Still need to do some thinking/engineering.

://www.restaurantsupply.com/vollrath-84780-stainless-steel-64-oz-funnel?k_clickid=33c2d773-2d91-4690-9fcd-b6202593b06b&gclid=CjwKEAjw_uvHBRDUkumF0tLFp3cSJACAIHMYvk_qQOaXr7p1JO3v16AumGv3ue4VouPDgQIEj0bgEBoCUITw_wcB

I found this but I'm not sure what gauge steel it is. May not be compatible. There are plenty others out there as well

Angle looks good, but only 8 1/2" across which will leave a pretty big horizontal shelf around the outside of the rim. Trub build up in this area will defeat the purpose of the conical shape.

13" (still too small) will run $100+
15" - 16" diameter (50L keg size) = $ more than a brew bucket by a long shot.

not saying don't do it, just saying if it was easy and cheap everyone would be doing it.

Angle looks good, but only 8 1/2" across which will leave a pretty big horizontal shelf around the outside of the rim. Trub build up in this area will defeat the purpose of the conical shape.

13" (still too small) will run $100+
15" - 16" diameter (50L keg size) = $ more than a brew bucket by a long shot.

not saying don't do it, just saying if it was easy and cheap everyone would be doing it.

Second this. I think all of us who TIG weld have looked into this. The funnel just doesn't exist at a price point that would be worth it. Only reason to make your own is to say you made your own (and likely spent more than the cost of getting a mass produced one from craigslist). But if you don't care about cost or time spent it would be a cool project.

I am that guy who would source the metal and do this. I fab up a lot of stuff in metal and SS welding is easy. It would be a longer process as heat and warping would be an issue.
What keeps me from doing it is cost, with what I can get a conical for, and the amount of cost of steel, fittings and other material, building a stand for hold the conical, and all my hours for that. It just does not pay out for what I can buy one for.
I will say I tend to over engineer things a bit. I spend hours thinking on how to make things better and that is why it would take me so long. I am not satisfied with the status quo. Even if I just copied another design however it would take me more time than it is worth between planing, gathering material and parts, fabricating and actual build up and finish, than it is worth financially. There is a ton of time in this just shaping metal and those tools are expensive.

That said, it sounds like a fun project and I would love to do it. I do projects like this as a hobby, not to save money. I have the tools or know of places that friends run that have some of the shaping tools I can sneak in and use.

I suggest you try it, but remember this project is not about cost savings. But it can be done in steps spreading the cost over a long period.

Latest posts

Back