DIY Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I am building a double coil chiller from 3/8 copper tubing, I want to put some solder welds between some of the coils to keep the chiller somewhat rigid, is there a problem using silver solder and putting it in the brew? Please help

Newbrewer,
silversolder is fine ,but making coils too tightly together might increases the chances of the copper to oxide more between the coils.Wort is acidic by nature and will defuse copper oxide into your beer,though copper oxide is not toxic it should be kept to a minimum
Horhay

Newbrewer,
I'm working on chiller made from a piece of baseboard heat unit.I'm going to ecase this in a piece 3'' pvc pipe with caps and fittings on the ends to seal the copper tubing protruding from the pvc.I'll attach high temp tube from brew kettle to copper on one end and tube to fermenter on other.On one end of pvc i'll tap for 1/2'' hose barb,same on other end to supply cold water supply and warm water out.I'll regulate hot wort flow to achieve desired temp.I believe this will work well. Cleaning and sanitizing should be a snap by removing tubing from ends of copper and swbbing out.This setup will minimize copper surface area in contact with the wort,thus less copper oxide into beer. Horhay

Give it a try but I don't think you'll end up with enough surface area to make it chill quickly. You'll have to throttle the wort by putting a valve on the OUTPUT of the chiller and really really slow it down. Let us know how it performs.

Bobby,
I've been thinking about the flow rate through heat exchanger.i think i will have to add a valve to slow flow rate down.Also thinking about a small circulating pump
to circulate ice water through heat exchanger.(A large tub full of ice and water i think will do the trick,i hope) temp has to warm up so i can work in the garage on this project. horhay

This is what's known as a modified counter flow chiller (How to Brew). I built one and have used it several times now and it works fine. Takes a few more minutes to set up but anyway while I'm boiling I have the few extra minutes. Just run some sanitizer through the copper tube before using it, and I use the tepid water for watering the garden. I can get 5 gallons from boiling to 60 degrees as fast as it will through my chiller, about 15 minutes. Take a look at my gallery and you'll see a few pics of my chiller.

Actually, horhay said he'd be pumping ice water though the immersion chiller instead of pumping wort. Either way works but it's probably easier to sanitize the outside of an IC than the inside of the coil and pump.

My chiller is still going through some engineering,base board eliment has been cleaned and cut to length.3 ft,allowing 6'' stick out on each end. Will purchase 2' pre cut section of 3'' pvc @homedepot.purchased 3/4 female caps&3/4 male caps,but found copper of base board copper to be 7/8 od,so will have to size up to 1'' fittings,dill out for copper.Have tops out of three kegsand drilled holes for 1/2 inch couplings,which i plan on welding in with in a week or so.hope to have whole system up and going by good friday(to brew good friday brown)
Horhay

Back