DIY Brew Stand questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I'm planning to build my long awaited brew stand. I've decided to build a three tier gravity fed out of steel and I'm not sure what type of steel to use that I should use. I'm torn between using old bed frames and scrap angle iron or possibly making it out of square tubing steel. If I use square tubing steel I don't know what size and wall thickness to buy.

You suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Bob

It'd be helpful to know what size batches you're planning on doing - max case - to size possible solutions.
Especially using bed frames and/or scap iron, which aren't necessarily engineered for strength...

Cheers!

Bed frames, at least old ones, were often heat treated to make them springy and not bendable. They make nice chisels and plane irons, but not really weldable. The welds crack. If you use any kind of scrap, do some test welds before you commit.

I mainly brew 5 gallon batches. My HLT is an 8 gallon stainless pot. My mash tun is made from a 11 gallon water jug cooler with a copper pipe manifold (with slits cut into the bottoms of the pipes. I use an 11 gallon Bayou Classic stainless pot My brew kettle. I currently only have one BG10 burner that's in its own stand and I'm planning to use this burner on the bottom to heat the wort. I'm planning upon installing a BG14 burner that I was given in the top of the stand to heat the HLT.

As for using old bed frames, I know that they heat treated, but I've never had any issues with welding them. That said, none of the welds have been loaded that heavy. I was thinking of welding up a very basic stand with four posts, nothing too fancy.

The set-up I use now is basically a real "Rube Goldberg" and not the safest. Since only have a single burner I have to heat up the strike/mash water on the burner then lift it up about 4-5 ft so everything flows in the mash tum. Its a tad heavy and I'm always worried I'm going to scald myself. I've considered making a single tier stand, but I'm not a fan of all the pumping that requires.

Back