DIY Bench Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
david_the_greek said:
hah this thread got me thinking when I was in my reloading room..... I have the mechanisms all there they just need to be switched around. A rotating assembly line from my dillon progressive :p hah perhaps not, gun powder IPA might have alittle too much bite for me

so tell me what do you reload?
243 set-up for varminting for me
just a basic rcbs single :rockin:
maybe 100 rds/yr

Back when I used to shoot a lot more it was 9mm, .380 and 12 gauge for skeet. I need to get back into reloading (haven't been reloading for 3 or 4 years :( ) but I now need to switch over to .45 and .223. Darn emerging markets are making kegs more expensive and shooting :mad:

Yuri_Rage said:
Yes - and so can you! It's a really simple process. I got a blasting cabinet on eBay for around $100. Glass bead runs about $1 a pound, and it takes 25-50 lbs to fill your average shop sized cabinet. You'll also need an air compressor capable of at least 10 CFM at 45-90 psi.

Im suprised you didnt make your own blasting cabinet out of plywood and plexyglass.

Progress so far:

4688-capperprogress2.JPG

Where did you get cylinder in this pic? It doesn't look like the 1st thing you posted above the bell.....or is it?

Hey, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to go about getting a pipe with the right threads to fit that bell! I've got everything else working, but I have no idea how to thread a pipe myself, or how to figure out what size threads are needed for that bell. Any ideas? Can I take the pipe and bell to a machinist and ask them to do it for me? :)

yuri, i know this is an old post, but would you mind listing out the parts you used for this capper?

i know you used an old bell and some thing from sears... any more specifics?

Ever since the aluminum bottle discussion, I've been itching for a bench capper.

Well...I was at Sear's yesterday, and I had a brainstorm...

4688-capperprogress0.JPG

4688-capperprogress1.JPG

Can anyone see where I'm going with this?

More pictures/how-to to follow...

your photos inspired me to come up with an even simpler solution, a brass bell and plastic mallet. i'm loving life, homebrew beer and yankee ingenuity... cheers !! scott e.

Bump for a very old thread, but I just made a bench capper inspired by Yuri's. Very quick and dirty (might try to make it prettier if I have the time), but it works very well. It's just barely tall enought for my tallest bottles. Cost under 3 euros ($5) to make as I had most of the stuff around (including the Bessey clamp with worn out threads).

15041121843_bf165cf368_c.jpg

15475687830_f0a3726d4a_c.jpg

Bump for a very old thread, but I just made a bench capper inspired by Yuri's. Very quick and dirty (might try to make it prettier if I have the time), but it works very well. It's just barely tall enought for my tallest bottles. Cost under 3 euros ($5) to make as I had most of the stuff around (including the Bessey clamp with worn out threads).

15041121843_bf165cf368_c.jpg

15475687830_f0a3726d4a_c.jpg

What were the part you used and did you need to machine any parts? Would really like to make one!

What were the part you used and did you need to machine any parts? Would really like to make one!

Parts list: (I'm in europe so I used metric bolts, you can use whatever you have available)

-worn out Bessey clamp
-16mm bolt and nut
-long 10mm bolt
-a few feet of 5x30mm flat steel bar
-a few 6 mm bolts, washers and nuts
-capping bell from an Emily capper

I did it all with a press drill, a hacksaw and a file. The only hard part was drilling a 10mm hole trough the 16mm bolt. I don't have a lathe, so I clamped the bolt in the drill chuck and the drill bit in a vice. That will keep the hole relatively centered and straight.

To attach the bell to the 10mm bolt, I cut off a piece of the hollowed bolt (before drilling the final 10mm hole) and threaded the hole with an m10 tap. The 16mm thread is close enough to thread a few turns on the bell, which is enough to keep it secured.

Back