DIY Beer Garden Table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconsi

Reaction score
Having an Oktoberfest party/cookout/bonfire at the end of next month. I assume that most people will be hanging outside because the weather should be so nice (even though the keezer is inside). Anyway, I only have a small round patio table, which is no where near large or festive enough for Oktoberfest. I wanted some sort of biergarten type table for my patio anyway, so I searched online for one and could find nothing less than $400, not including shipping. I can't fathom paying that amount for a glorified picnic table, so I'm gonna make my own. I drew up some rough plans for the table (they're kinda to scale, but the measurement are correct). This beast should be about the size of standard biergarten table (96"x22.5"x30"), but it'll have a wooden base instead of the metal. I'll post pictures of my progress, but I'm hoping to have this bad boy done tomorrow.

All this requires is 7 2"x4"8' and 3 1"x8"x8'. You will also need a Kreg jig to join the boards for the tabletop and the legs. All in all, it should cost less than $60 to build the table.

rough-beer-table-63666.jpg

Yesterday, I managed to get a lot done. First I cut the legs and the three beams to run the length of the table. I attached the legs to the two long beams, then connected the two sides to form the basic table frame.
0829141731-63669.jpg

Next, I attached crossbeams at the top and bottom of the legs and connected the two sides with a center beam. Then, I put crossbeams in place to attach the angled center beams.
0829141824-63670.jpg

After that, I attached the angled beams.
0830140839-63671.jpg

Today, I have to add two more crossbeams, and attach the top. More pics to come.

Staestc, best $30 I ever spent. I highly suggest one for all of your furniture construction needs.

Cbaddad, I'm glad you asked. I finished it with some deck/furniture stain. I'll upload a picture soon. Hoping to get at least one bench done today. Hopefully the weather holds out.

Stained the table and got one of the benches done. I also now need to replace a few patio stones because I was clumsy and knocked over the stain bucket. I should probably get some RoundUp too while I'm at it.
table1-63697.jpg

table2-63698.jpg

Ask, and you shall receive. I didn't include in the height that I mounted the crossbar on the leg for the angled support. I believe that it is up 2.5" on my bench. You can make minor modifications depending on your preference and how accurate your angled cut it. Make sure that you have a center support or else the bench will bow. I'm thinking of adding some 45 degree supports to center just for piece of mind.
bench-design-63699.jpg

Made a smaller version that seats six. Now on to the benches.
0908141912-63769.jpg

Roger that. There will be pics... with lederhosen

Sconsi, which Kreg jig do you have? I see many on Amazon, and want to make sure I get the right one.

The tables and benches look great, and I love the backyard layout from your other thread!

Thanks,
Chef Jay

Sconsi, which Kreg jig do you have? I see many on Amazon, and want to make sure I get the right one.

The tables and benches look great, and I love the backyard layout from your other thread!

Thanks,
Chef Jay

Chef Jay,
I have the Kreg Jig R3. Here's the official link for it: https://www.kregtool.com/store/c13/kreg-jigsreg/p169/kreg-jigreg-r3/

I looked at some of the more advanced models, and they seemed to have a bunch of features that I would never use. This mode was perfect for what I needed. Just make sure that you get a good clamp for holding the jig down. Kreg makes a model for $30, but I was able to get two of the exact same price at Lowes that was not the Kreg brand.

The other thing that I will stress are clamps. You can never have enough clamps. And for big projects, I used truck strap to hold things together.

Good luck. You will never want to buy furniture again after you purchase your Kreg

Back