DIY Beer Bottle Crate (for Grolsch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
**Updated* This post now has the revised plans and parts list

Hey HBT, I recently scored a bunch of free Grolsch bottles but don't have anywhere to neatly store them. I did a lot of googling and if I want something that's long lasting I think that building is my best option. I'm looking to do this cheap but efficient. I'll be making it out of 7/16" plywood and 1/8" plywood dividers. I'll put up the plans in the event someone else wants to make something similar.

I've got 128 bottles so I'll make 5 cases to hold 124 bottles. I'm doing a fully enclosed box to keep light off of them, especially since they are green glass. I'm not what you would call "good" at woodworking so this will be an adventure. I do know enough to add in 1/8" per cut for what the blade removes so my initial measurements all added 1/8" to make sure the pieces would fit in each sheet of plywood.

Here's what I've got made up, I'll update as I build, hopefully starting tonight. The only things not on the HomeDepot list are nails and handles, the handles are 1/2 the total price, 10 @ $4 a piece.

"Finished" pic first, still needs handles, might change how the lid attaches.
Q9c5g45l.jpg

Plans: (The arrows at the bottom of the 3 sheet pages show where I can cut the sheets in half to make them more manageable to handle on the table saw)
Bc0GrEAl.jpg

HI6WuaEl.jpg

lAWjjSal.jpg

9PF7TFml.jpg

Parts List
djUFbJBh.png

Going to make something similar to this, but laid flat and with a lid. No band saw or nail gun though :(

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLxzlVn5Ffs[/ame]

I ended up make an alteration to the size of the opening for the bottles. I initially had designed the cases using 3" as the bottle diameter. I tried measuring a couple extra times and found the circumference to be 9.5". Using good old pie I found that the actual diameter was 3.025", that .025" isn't much but multiplied by 6 it could be. So to be safe I changed the bottle size to 3-1/8".

I've currently got all the wood cut and one box complete, I'm quite happy with it except for the hinges. I might end up changing it out for a rim under the lid to hold it in place. I'll post some pics later this morning when I get back in front of a computer. I'll post the updated plan's as well.

*Changed 3.025" from 9.025"

Back